Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
am so out of my league here... are they taking into account any other (maybe influences) Chemicals, pesticides, poisons, that are commonly used long term monthly applications?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Dogs aren't carnivores, though.
I disagree.. Everything from their dentition to their digestive tract tells me what it is they are designed to eat.

Dogs thrive on eating nothing but meat, bones and organs. No veg/grains/plant matter. If they were omnivours this wouldn't be the case. Sure they will eat greens/grains, but this doesn't mean they need them to live/thrive/sustain.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Your disagreement aside, dogs can and do get a significant portion of their calories and nutrition from sources other than meat, which makes them omnivorous. They were quite literally "designed" to eat our leftovers and garbage. Being omnivorous doesn't mean that meat isn't a preferable food source, but conversely, meat being a preferable food source doesn't make them true carnivores.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well now I'm concerned. I feed three different food to my guys (Fromms Classic, Wellness Health and Zignature) but my 14 year old Chocolate Lab Moose has been eating turkey Zignature for years now and has been doing so so well on it. I'm reluctant to take him off at this point.....

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I disagree.. Everything from their dentition to their digestive tract tells me what it is they are designed to eat.

Dogs thrive on eating nothing but meat, bones and organs. No veg/grains/plant matter. If they were omnivours this wouldn't be the case. Sure they will eat greens/grains, but this doesn't mean they need them to live/thrive/sustain.
Interesting study on canine domestication.... one of the very early changes in the journey from wolf to dog was the increased ability to digest carbohydrates. https://www.google.com/http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2013/01/diet-shaped-dog-domestication

Well now I'm concerned. I feed three different food to my guys (Fromms Classic, Wellness Health and Zignature) but my 14 year old Chocolate Lab Moose has been eating turkey Zignature for years now and has been doing so so well on it. I'm reluctant to take him off at this point.....
Then don't, unless you have reason to believe that he has diet related DCM. Has he had abnormal holters and echoes?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would get his blood tested and heart checked for peace of mind. If all checks out fine I would not bother switching. At 14, it is unlikely the food would cause issues later down the road if he has been eating it for years and is in good health. At that age I am just happy to have a food the dog likes and does well on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree. I would also worry about changing his diet at this late stage. There's no reason to suspect heart issues.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts