Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Screen Shot 2016-04-16 at 6.06.52 PM.jpg

I have a year and 4 month old female Pit Bull that I rescued. She suffers with anxiety, especially separation, but all around is an extremely sweet and friendly girl. The only issue I've always had with her, is when unfamiliar people come to the door and inside our home. She barks and growls and it is sometimes impossible to get her to calm down. She jumps in the air (not on people), and kind of nips at them sometimes (always with unfamiliar men) but won't actually put her teeth on them (at least not yet.) She is the opposite of this any other time, as well as anywhere in public even when being approached. In our home and any other home that she knows (grandparents', aunt and uncle's) she acts the same.

I have had a one on one hour and a half long session with a personal trainer to work on this. She basically suggested having people come to the door, leaving the treats outside the door, and having the unfamiliar people calmly enter and tell Luna to sit and give a treat. The problem is, I don't know enough unfamiliar people. Once she meets and gets to know someone a little, she is okay when they come over. The trainer also suggested putting her through an intermediate course to socialize her better, and that has helped her immensely as far as being social and comfortable around other dogs and with strangers coming up to her in public (she graduated and is starting an advanced class as well this month.)

She is the sweetest dog I have ever known, and I've known a lot of dogs in my 23 years, and I really need some insight on how to work on this issue with her instead of having to put her away whenever someone comes over.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If you are not the only one in your household or if you have a friend you can recruit, you could have familiar people ring the doorbell with heavy coats or hats - different things that obscure their appearance so she doesn't realize it's someone she knows. That might give you the opportunity to train her more on the door, at least.

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
Unfamiliar candidates: Vet techs, clerks at PetSmart, clerks at Pet Stores, as well as pet food stores, hardware stores, rescues. Next door neighbors, and their friends....

When you find unfamiliar candidates, an small addition to the suggestion is to have the 'stranger' toss a treat over the head of the dog, just in back of her, trying this 3 times, then tossing a treat between the dog and the stranger. Regardless, it will take a few weeks to a few months to socialize the dog, so that she learns that all strangers are friendly...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She is more than fine with anyone in any public setting such as Petsmart, the Vet, any of those kinds of places that you mentioned. Going for walks around the neighborhood, dog parks, etc. It's only when someone unfamiliar comes to the door of and/or enters "her" home, even with my permission. But thanks for the tip! We'll try that as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts