Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My five month old Border Collie/Aussie Shepherd mix was being fed Science Diet Lamb and Rice puppy food since 8 weeks old. I went and bought a new bag of the food and the lady at the pet store said it had new labeling and was the same food as the previous food. The new bag now said "healthy development", once I opened that bag of "healthy development" I noticed the food smelled different and looked smaller. My pup immediately refused to eat the food and seemed to have no appetite. He would eventually eat it but it was almost like he was being force fed. Today we went and bought Blue Buffalo puppy food and even with a 25/75% mix of old and new food, he scarfed the food down like he had been starving for days.
I am just curious if anyone else has seen the same type of thing with Science Diet in the last month or if it's just an appetite change in my little buddy. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
'Healthy Development' is their regular line of puppy food, so you probably got a different kind than last time.

However, there are better food choices for the same/less cost. I'd spend your money on something more beneficial to your little guy.

Fromm Gold is cheaper than Science Diet, it's about $23 for 15lbs. And it's 100x better.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I agree there are much better foods to choose from... Personally, since you already have him started on BB, I would continue with the Blue Buffalo and nix out science diet altogether if possible..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Day two with the blue buffalo is looking positive. Cooper is excited about eating again and eats all the food in one sitting. I have also noticed that there has already been way less paw chewing and itching after 3 feedings of the Blue Buffalo. He would chew on his paws and itch like crazy a couple hours after each meal. I am upset that Science Diet was recommended to me by my vet and even some friends. After doing a lot of research and looking into dog foods, I am amazed that a vet would suggest a food with so much corn and animal by product. My ignorant education has now been changed and I am glad I've got Cooper on a better food that he seems to really enjoy.
I also found this, which explains a lot.
http://dogventuring.blogspot.com/2012/09/science-diet-to-have-plastic-coasted.html

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Yeah. Unfortunately, many vets (and friends) know very little about nutrition.

I found these sites helpful in learning about foods and chosing the right one for Gypsy:
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

You should post pictures of your pup! I'm, guess you could say, partial to border collie x Aussie mixes. Hehe.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I don't know how much truth there is to it but I've been told that a lot of times vets are paid by Hills to recommend SD and carry it in their clinics. IMO blue buffalo is a lot better choice (heck I think most any other food is a better choice) and I'm glad you're seeing good results with it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I don't know how much truth there is to it but I've been told that a lot of times vets are paid by Hills to recommend SD and carry it in their clinics. IMO blue buffalo is a lot better choice (heck I think most any other food is a better choice) and I'm glad you're seeing good results with it.
I dont think science diet is that bad. But its overpriced. For the same price you can get better food or same food for less.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Anytime a dog refuses food is *the* time to listen to the dog. I second the person who posted the dogfoodadvisor. I'm a regular there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts