Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just bought a Norwegian elkhound a week ago and he has loose stools. I was first told it was due to nerves, which after a few days it was much more solid. However on this past Sunday it got really loose again. I am out of the puppy food the woman who sold him to me had and she doesn't remember what kind of food it was. So now I am feeding my puppy nutro brand and I am looking for a way to help ease him into it and digest it better.

Does anyone have any ideas?

It would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Poor guy! The woman doesn't remember what brand the puppy was on - seriously? Nutro isn't the best brand, and suddently switching foods can cause an upset tummy (but I realize you didn't have a choice in this case). You may want to add a little plain pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) to his food to help firm up the stools. I'd look into a better food - check out http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/ to check out various kibbles. A good one will rank 5 or 6 stars; 4 at the very least. Your pup might do better on a grain free kibble, such as Acana, Orijen, Fromm, Blue Buffalo, Evo, etc.. Some of these companies make both grain inclusive and grain free kibbles, so read the bags carefully.

Another thought: has your pup been to the vet yet? If not, I'd take him. He might have worms or some other parasite.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much, I took him to the vet the day after I got him and he is worm/parasite free. In case the pumpkin and better food doesn't work, would you have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
115 Posts
If your puppy doesn't take the cold turkey food switch, you could put him on a boiled rice and chicken diet until everything settles down and then slowly transition him onto the new food that you pick from that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts