Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having issues with a dog breeder. I bought a collie from her 3 years ago who I am madly in love with. A year ago I decided to get another collie from her. She was going to sell me a male. After I had him paid for she backed out and said she wanted to keep him. She told me she would instead give me a puppy from her next litter for the same price. I was told her female was coming in so puppies should be born a little over 2 months from that time. Well, the dog did not come in heat (that's what I was told anyway). She told me it was a false heat and she should come in soon. It has now been well over a year. I have been e-mailing her off and on all year and she has been keeping in touch with me. About a month ago I e-mailed asking for my money back. She has not reponded since. This woman usually responds within 30 minutes of an e-mail. Here's where it gets tricky. She is out of state. She is in Tennessee and I am in Louisiana. You usually have to be in the state to file a claim or press charges and you have to be in the state for the trial. Is there anyway around that? Has anyone gone through something similar?

Oh, and the male she "wanted to keep" was sold a month later after she offered him to me again for $400 more than she asked originally. I should have backed out then but I really wanted a new collie puppy!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I would contact a lawyer and have them write her a letter. That's usually enough in these situations. The lawyer could tell you about interstate small claims court filings as well.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
You can file a complaint with her State Attorney. Make sure you have documentation to send them so they can file charges.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,
I have every e-mail between us as well as PayPal receipts. My phone bill shows how many times I have tried contacting her. I hope all of that is enough. I have contacted AKC but I do not expect they will help much.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I would send her another email or call her and tell her if you do not have a bank check in your hand in one week, you will be contacting the people above^^^^

·
Registered
291 Posts
I was going to suggest contacting the AKC but I see you did that. If the breeder is a member then they do have a code of ethics that their members have to abide by so you should at least be able to have them write a letter to her.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I was going to suggest contacting the AKC but I see you did that. If the breeder is a member then they do have a code of ethics that their members have to abide by so you should at least be able to have them write a letter to her.
No the AKC doesn't have a code of ethics and the AKC is not a member club. The Breed clubs do have a code of ethics but the wost can could happen if you broke that code of ethics is being banned from membership in the breed club.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
You can file a complaint with the AKC.... They will make note of it.

But they weill not resolve the issue..

You have a legal matter not a kennel club matter.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
BTW, You might also file with Paypal/Amazon. They may not be able to help at this stage, but they may record the issue for other folks...

·
Registered
891 Posts
I am having issues with a dog breeder. I bought a collie from her 3 years ago who I am madly in love with. A year ago I decided to get another collie from her. She was going to sell me a male. After I had him paid for she backed out and said she wanted to keep him. She told me she would instead give me a puppy from her next litter for the same price. I was told her female was coming in so puppies should be born a little over 2 months from that time. Well, the dog did not come in heat (that's what I was told anyway). She told me it was a false heat and she should come in soon. It has now been well over a year. I have been e-mailing her off and on all year and she has been keeping in touch with me. About a month ago I e-mailed asking for my money back. She has not reponded since. This woman usually responds within 30 minutes of an e-mail. Here's where it gets tricky. She is out of state. She is in Tennessee and I am in Louisiana. You usually have to be in the state to file a claim or press charges and you have to be in the state for the trial. Is there anyway around that? Has anyone gone through something similar?

Oh, and the male she "wanted to keep" was sold a month later after she offered him to me again for $400 more than she asked originally. I should have backed out then but I really wanted a new collie puppy!
If the amount of money is significant, contact a lawyer. However, the amount of money you will pay for an attorney will probably be more than what the breeder hasn't returned to you. She's probably not even recoverable in terms of a settlement if you were to sue her. I'd bet she's already long spent that money and since she clearly doesn't have a trust account for client deposits, she sounds shady as heck. I'm sorry to say, it sounds to me unless you're willing to fork over more cash to a lawyer, like you're out the initial money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts