Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my girlfriend and I adopted two dogs from a rescue, and we've been having issues with one of them being aggressive to the other. Am curious if anyone has any advice to offer.

Their names are Yin and Yong, both Beagle/Doxen mixes. Yin is 1 years old and 20-25 lbs. Yong is 2 years old and 16.5 lbs. Yong is the one being aggressive to Yin.

When we first got them, we didn't have the issues we had now. One thing is that they both ate very frantically. Yong would run from her bowl to Yin's bowl and try to eat, and then run back. We fed them in separate rooms. If Yin approached Yong's bowl, Yong would growl and Yin would step back. Their play fights would often turn into real fights, with faces snarling and lots of yelping and barking, but we broke them up when they got too intense by clapping and shouting "Hey!" and that worked... as it is now their playfights don't escalate anymore.

The issue now is that Yong will frequently intimidate and be aggressive to Yin. She'll walk around with her tail stiff and walk right up next to Yin, which Yin responds to by walking away. Yong will stalk her for a bit and eventually they'll settle down in different areas.

Other times Yin will be afraid to walk in front of Yong, so for example Yong will be in one part of the living room, Yin in another, and Yin will cower in a corner as she doesn't wanna walk past Yong.

We've had issues where Yong triggers off on Yin which involves us somehow. For example Yin will be playing with a toy. Yong will steal it and start playing with it. We'll approach and give Yin a different toy for her to play with. Yong steals that toy too. Yin then goes for the initial toy, at which point Yong jumps her (snarling, growling, barking). Another one that happened recently is we were all cuddling up on the couch near each other. I got up and left the couch, at which point Yong went after Yin. We think that she basically blames anything 'bad' happening (like me leaving) on Yin and then goes after her for it.

The worst of it has happened after we left them with a dog sitter. This was our mistake, but when we adopted the dogs, we had two trips planned. So they stayed with us a few months, then a dog sitter for 5 days, then with us a few weeks, then with a dog sitter for 12 days. After the 12 days it is the worst it has been. We also saw marks on Yong's nose which we think may be Yin having scratched her when they got into a fight. The dog sitter likely didn't break up the fights the way we had been. To add some background, Yong had been previously adopted for 3 months and then returned, and she definitely has separation anxiety (whining when one of us leaves even if the other one is still here).

Since we got them they had both been sleeping in one large crate with the two dog beds. We never had any issues except after they were at the dog sitter for 12 days, where we walked into witness Yong having pinned down Yin, towering over her, and constantly growling, while Yin was just laying there looking very scared. Since then we've put in a divider in the crate so that nothing can happen when they're in there.

After that happened we took the advice in an article on thebalancedcanine and decided to prop Yin up, as she is larger and looked like she might have too little status. We've been feeding her first, with Yong watching, at which point Yong gets her food. Yong is really good about it, doesn't go for Yin's food anymore, and waits patiently. We also never have any issues on our walks or when we take them somewhere... it only happens at home. Sometimes nothing happens for a few days, and then Yong will start being aggressive and sometimes burst into barking and going after Yin.

Since we started feeding Yin first, giving her treats first, etc., we've noticed her stand up to herself more... like sometimes when Yong stares she'll return the stare instead of looking away. Also when Yong growls and then snarls and goes after her she snarls and barks back. So on that level it seems like it might be working... though I did just witness Yong doing the intimidation walking-around thing again, where Yin just submitted.

We're concerned that we're not doing the right thing somehow... we want the issue to get better, not worse, and we're not sure it is improving. Based on everything I said does anyone have any advice to give us? Any reply would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
You have two females. This likely will not end well at some point with the description of the stiff tail and so forth. At some point, I expect they will escalate to a bitch fight and truly try to kill each other (whatever you do, if they fight NEVER get your hands in there.. pick them up by their hind legs!!).

At some point Yin (I cannot IMAGINE dogs names like this.. I would be using the wrong name all the time! Haha) will NOT submit and then it will be game on. Bitches truly will fight to the death and it has NOTHING to do with being spayed. Right now the older dog is maintaining her higher position in the social structure and looks at the younger dog as a threat to that position. The younger dog is so far backing down because she is younger but she is also already showing you that she may NOT back down at some point in the near future.

I would separate the dogs. Period. All the time. Forever.

This will be a PIA to manage but that is the answer and you probably won't like that answer. There is no other truly safe way to handle these two bitches going forward.

I

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
First, I would make sure they are physically separated at all times. If they are attacking each other, its only a matter of time before something really bad happens. You cannot allow them any opportunity to engage in that type of behavior. Get them two separate crates, in separate rooms. Being so close together does nothing for the dogs' high stress levels.

Secondly, I would contact a behaviorist to analyze this situation. These types of issues are best resolved by a professional who can take a look at the problem in person.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
The first thing I would do is get them separate crates. They should never be forced together.

Feed them separately. Pick up all toys, bones, treats, etc. If/when they fight, try to analyze exactly what was happening beforehand so you can figure out what the trigger is.

How long have you had them?

You may have to keep them separated all the time, which can be done, especially with smaller dogs. Gates/crates in various places around the house works well. I second getting a dog behaviourist in to help. Make sure you are using only positive reinforcement with the dogs.

Honestly I'm not sure trying to put Yin first is the best solution, but I'm not an expert.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts