Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I adopted our first puppy a month ago. I know now that Izzie was definitely 'underage'--the shelter told my husband she was 5-6 weeks. Looking over her paperwork they actually wrote 4-5 weeks on some of it. I'm going to assume she was roughly 5 weeks when we had her. Either way, I know we definitely shouldn't have had her so soon. (Side note; for some reason in our state it's not illegal to give out a puppy this young, and there was some amount of guilting from the shelter that she'd probably die from disease if she was left there. Hubby caved at that thought, but again, we realize now it might not have been the best decision.)

I think she's actually doing pretty well for her age, has had her vet checkups and first rounds of shots, eats and plays well and when we're diligent she's pretty good about potty training.

I just worry though that we're always going to have issues because she didn't get those last 3 weeks or so of socialization with her mom and litter. Can anyone offer some advice on how we can best help her?

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
Know anyone with a puppy-friendly vaccinated adult dog? One with good manners and patience? Playing and socializing with an appropriate adult dog is a great learning experience.

Once she's had her second set of shots, a puppy kindergarten class (like half really basic training and half playgroup) would be helpful.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Like the person above me said, try to get your puppy to socialize as much as possible with an older, friendly dog that is good around pups and is vaccinated. This will help even if you can only do it for a few hours a week. Also, make sure your puppy meets lots and lots of people - don't overwhelm her of course, but invite people around. This can help you in the long-term when it comes to your puppy's personality. Just keep being patient, it is difficult but with patience everything will be okay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the advice. We don't have any friends with dogs right now, unfortunately, or at least not dogs I'd want Izzie to learn from. She is meeting all our friends though and responds really well to people, very playful with them. I definitely want to get her into a puppy class soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts