Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We rescued Toto (he came with the name) about 3 weeks ago and we've deemed him the "socially awkward dog."

He wants to get in your lap and put his face right to your face at all times. It's somewhat endearing as he loves affection, but it's not exactly polite.

If he gets near you and you show the least bit of affection or attention, he automatically manuvers into this position. it takes about 5 times of repositioning him away from your face for him to stay there, but then he licks uncontrollably until finally I have to put him on the floor and ignore him.

#1 will this stop?
#2 is this common with rescues?
#3 Is it wrong to ignore him to get him to stop?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I would start training him - sit, down, stay at a minimum so that you can make him sit and stay or better yet down and stay in order to shower him with the affection he craves. It's something our rescue does too, although she is happy just excessively lick our hands. It hasn't been three weeks yet and I think some of it is just wanting to please and be loved, something which they might have not gotten a lot.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It could be that whoever had him previously liked this behavior and encouraged it. Rescue dogs, to answer your question, can come with a whole host of issues or they can be totally normal. Just depends on what their experiences were.

I would say that as soon as he performs this behavior, put him on the floor. Make sure that you do reward the behavior that you like- for example, if he is just laying at your feet like a good boy, pet him and show him affection. The second he gets in your face, (or tries to) stop all affection.

He'll figure it out. It just takes time.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't know how common it is, but if you want him to stop, your best bet would probably be to teach him to lie down on command. Once he understands 'lie down', tell him to lie down when he's on your lap and only give him the attention he wants after he does. You can also teach him to climb on your lap on command (and either ignore him or gently push him away when he is not invited).

That is usually the best way to get a dog to stop doing something... teach him to do something else instead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts