Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I'm only new to this forum and have an question in regards to my only just 1yr old Maltese x Shihtzu, Max.
He's a little bit of a silly dog and very loyal and cute.
He comes form a family little and purebred maltese mother.
He lived with my mother for a few months when I moved away from my home town and came to live with me permanently about 6months ago. So I do understand his uprourous and slight misbehaviour. He is such a beautiful dog and my shadow. I have to be the one to put him to bed or he won't sleep and he follows me EVERYWHERE.

He is fine with my partner but HATES our housemate who is a male, he has only just stopped barking when he arrives home from work and when my partner and our housemate 'wrestle' or muck around as males do, Max becomes aggrassive and gets the uncontrollable, shakes and barks -the aggression is centred towards our housemate and can get very savage. I was in the kitchen one day and out housemate just gave me a little push and because Max is never a metre away from me bit our housemate on foot, quite hard. I am aware that Max is now MY dog and is a one human, dog. He shows his distaste if I leave him at my mother by doing little things that aren't normally like him.
Can anyone tell me why he becomes so aggressive? It's near uncontrollable and he shakes so badly. I Have to hold him while anything that could be deemed a 'fight' occurs. I'm also worried that if he becomes jealous or ever finds my partner a threat that things could become difficult.
ANy help, ideas and info would be appreciated!!

Evanell
:wave:

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Dogs can have a hard time distinguishing between playful "fighting" and real fighting among humans. When dogs play fight, they start with a play bow, which says "everything after this is play". Humans don't do that, so the dog can't tell if it's play or not.

As to the roommate, your dog wasn't sufficiently socialized as a puppy, it sounds like, so now he's freaked out by something about the roommate. Have the roommate drop treats for the dog as he passes so the dog associates roommate with good things. Work up to the dog taking treats directly from the roommate, but go slow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for this. I was(unfortunately) associating the aggression with something the housemate or another male lookalike had done to Max when he was a pup. I will give your advise a try if the housemate is willing.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
He's not comfortable with the roomate, likely because he's never seen adult men roughhousing and it bothers him. A lot if he's going to bite him for it!

I would tell the 'boys' to do the wrestling outside, or out of sight of the dog. If they want to burn off that energy, tell them to go outside and do so, not in the house. Have the roomate armed with lots of treats, put him in charge of feeding Max, get one of his dirty tshirts that he's worn for the day and put it on Max's bed, so he starts to associate his scent with being comfortable.

If the roomate for example were to come in and be quite calm and relaxed, and right away drop treats, you'll likely see Max go 'ok, he's not so bad'. It may be he was abused when he was young, by someone who acted the same way, and it just doesn't sit well with him.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
He's scared because your housemate unpredictably turns into a scary, raging demon thing that is not to be trusted. I would knock off the wrestling and ask the housemate not to force any attention on Max, but drop or toss him yummy treats frequently. Eventually Max should learn that the housemate isn't so scary and isn't unpredictably terrifying anymore. I doubt he was abused, but most dogs just find unpredictable outbursts from humans really scary.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys. I appreciate the Advice.
It happened worse this morning. Max is getting so worked up he's shaking and snarling. It has always occured just never this extreme. He's such an affectionate and well behaved dog with everyone else. I think it just scares him too much so I've told the lads to just avoid doing it in front of Max.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts