Votes: 2 8.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 30.4%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious if there are many folks out there with a dog that is prematurely grey, and if so, at what age did you notice the grey appear? Lucy started getting grey around 2 years old.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
The Australian Shepherd showlines pritty much no longer carry the gene for premature greying. It is beleived to be a dominant trait that is easily bred out. And since dogs with richer color tend to win more, they are the ones who pass on their genes more. so I would say 85% of aussies do not have this gene.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Rufus is a 2 year lab/wolfhound? mix. He has a few gray hairs on his muzzle, under his eyes and a few on his back near the base of his tail. I actually think he is less gray since I brought him home from the shelter... hmm

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Belle is 9 and only has a few grey hairs on her chin. Shadow's 10 and has been grey & white since he was about 1 1/2, he was black & white as a puppy. Not sure if it counts as premature greying though...it might had just been a color change from pup to adult?? not sure.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
My past sheltie Nikki started greying at 2.

And here's Beau at 4:

versus 3:

·
Registered
307 Posts
My aunt who used to show dogs once told me that premature greying around the muzzle can be caused by plastic bowls. I don't know how true that is but I stick with stainless steel just to be safe :)

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Butch is 6 and started going gray about 2 yrs ago. Actually, his is white. It is really showing around his eyes. I think it makes him look distinguished :cool:

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Corona started going grey around 8 or 9 months old and it's still spreading.. her once pure black face mask is basically gone.

I fully expect the same for Aria, which is a bummer because she has a super cute white marking on her top lip that will disappear.

It's a family trait. :p

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I just started noticing them on Blaze, he just turned 6. His are humble and hard to see, since he already has whit4 on his face (always has) but now its spreading.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Penny is 6, and has a white chin....but I think she always had a white chin. I'll have to look at pictures of her when she was younger. The boys don't have any gray.

If you looked closely, you could see that Willow had a white muzzle starting when she was about 8, but it was hard to see because she was a very light yellow Lab. It's easier to see in dark dogs.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Jade is 1 year 5 months and she already has the front of her muzzle full of grey/white hairs. To people that see her here at the house... she already looks old because of it.

Why does it happen? Danes age quicker... and well she's black... so you notice it way more than with Callahan. By the way she's going... I wouldnt be surprised if she's fully white on her face by the end of next year.
Nessa

·
Registered
146 Posts
My brussels griff started graying at about 3 years old. He has alot of gray on him now!

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
It's hard for me to say. Marge doesn't have the typical white hairs starting around the nose/eyes, but she DOES have a few spread throughout her body that I haven't noticed before. One of her brothers is prematurely gray, though.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Do white dogs turn gray?

Always wondered that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts