Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 rotties that are and one that is not. My griff only speaks when he wants something really bad....lol. Dutch, my oldest, sounds like Chewy from Star Wars when he gets going, it's the funniest thing. I was just curious how many other dogs "talk" to their humans. My Annabelle, the youngest rottie, is very vocal, if she wants my attention she makes the weirdest noise. Which I have most likely "trained" her to use that sound to get my attention because it's so darn cute how can ya not.....lol. She is a smart cookie. :D

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
One of our dogs (Jaia) has always been very vocal! He talks, moans, gurgles and screams. Sometimes it's annoying, but mostly it's very cute. :)

Jaia "singing"

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
There are only three instances when Basil gets vocal. 1, When he's looking out the window and sees someone on what HE deems our property (We live in an apartment XD) 2, Whenever we leave home, and 3, When he wants to go out. It's the funniest thing! First he'll stand by the door and whine, but if were not moving fast enough, he'll start doing what looks like biting the air, but eventually a small, but increasingly loud bark sneaks out of his throat, lol! It's so cute, he always looks so grumpy about it, too XD

Oh yeah, and sometimes when he gets all riled up, he makes this little "Uh!" grunting sound, like he's offended about something! It's so cute, I always make fun of him and immitate him when he does it, which makes him look even more offended, lol!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Our black lab is very vocal.

Most of the time its cute, its only not so cute when he starts talking back.
Its like having a teenager.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I always joke that my Golden is part Wookie. He's got an extensive vocabulary of moos, squeaks, huffs, groans, bellows, yips, etc., ad nauseum, and he's not afraid to use it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Oh my lord, yes, Hershey is more chatty than I am!!

Hershey talks to:
  • toys, especially her Buster Cube or when a toy gets stuck under the cabinets
  • like Nargle's Basil, anyone she deems on our property, as far as she is concerned I own the entire apartment complex
  • the trainer at Petco, Hershey has a variety of yodels, barks, and happy whines when she's with the trainer (Hershey LOVES her)
  • other dogs when playing, barking and yipping to the extent that other owners worry their dog is hurting her (don't worry folks, if your dog gets out of line, trust me, you'll know)
  • she also does the usual, "I don't think you're paying enough attention to me, Mommy" vocalizations ;)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I have a collie. a breed known to bark just to hear themselves. So yes, Yes I have a very very very vocal dog lol

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Christy, my GSD mix is very vocal when playing. She'll growl and sound like she is tearing something apart. I can pat her and she'll roll over and if I talk "baby talk" to her she start growling really loudly.

Rusty my stray that I caught after he had been a stray for over 2 1/2 yrs, is a talker. He'll say "whoooo, whooo, whooo" all of the time. I tell my husband he is talkative because when he was out in the wild, there was no one to talk to, so now he has a lot to say.

Snickers, my Cocker mix, never says a word.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
With 30 years of Rotties under my belt, I will say.... Rotties are very into verbal communication. NOT barking so much (none of mine have been barkers) but growls and chortles. Like RottieMom3 said, they tend to sound like Chewbaca from Star Wars. I have had neighbors look over my privacy fence to see if there was a dog fight going on because of all the growls. Some times they even sound like Lions, with more of a ROAR sound. I used to have a male that would growl this fierce sounding growl whenever I was putting him into the tub. (dragging would be more accurate) That boy didn't have a mean bone in his body but sounded pretty darn mean on occasion.
Carsten, one of my current boys is the quietest dog I have ever owned. He growls a little from time to time but he almost seems unsure of himself when he does it. He does like to howl and whine though. :p Oliver is a chatty boy. I just look at him and he goes into a Chewie growl/chortle thingy. :) He is a lovable goon.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Lloyd is only vocal when he is playing or angry at another dog. Other than that he is pretty quiet. He used to be a whiner but we had gotten that stopped. He is starting again though because of the MIL rewarding it:rolleyes: I had a few talks with her though and she has stopped so he is quieting down again in regards to that.

Allie was extremely vocal, mostly this horrible screamy/whine thing. Now she is fairly quiet, only doing a quieter whine when she is very excited.

Nash is pretty vocal when he is excited, frustrated, happy . . . basically when he is not sleeping or relaxing. We are working on becoming quieter, but he is a shepherd!

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Alvin says, "Wow." You would think he would need to have pursable lips in order to do this, but he's very successful at it, improper anatomy not withstanding. He usually only says it when he's trying to get me to hurry. For example, he is very quiet in the morning...until my alarm goes off. Then he will lie on his bed and say, "Wow. Woooow. Wowwww!" until I actually get up.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Shadow's pretty vocal. He doesn't really 'talk' with people, but more of if the wind blows, he sees someone or if he's frustrated about something. Also when he's playing.

Belle's pretty quiet. The only time she barks is if someone is on our property, or if she's playing with other dogs.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Peanut will yelp/whine if she wants to play with another dog, and bark when someone is at the door. Or if she has to poop REALLY bad..as I found out one morning after shushing her.:rolleyes:

Abba is always talking, especially when he plays. He will growl up a storm with other dogs, it sounds very intimidating. With his people, he does the Puppy Bark.:D

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Kind of. She's not really a barker, but she grunts, squeaks, growls and whines a lot.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
One of our dogs (Jaia) has always been very vocal! He talks, moans, gurgles and screams. Sometimes it's annoying, but mostly it's very cute. :)
She sounds just like my neighbours Staffy who makes the weirdest, most annoying noises ever. Sometimes you can even mistake him for a person shouting!

The only time Blizzard makes a noise is when he barkes at strangers or whines with happiness when he sees me.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Mine absolutely have lots of verbal communication, and all of them have. One will howl with me any time I ask her if she wants to sing along with me. All will "answer questions".

:D

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Roxxy only talks to Butch (when playing) or when she hears something, she whine/growls/yips. I can NEVER get her to talk to me. Butch on the other hand, talks to me all the time. Mainly in the morning when it's time for their morning treat. But he also grumbles when I'm not paying attention to him, and he thinks I should. :cool:

When Butch first came home with me I found out (from my neighbors) he barked a lot. He seems to have outgrown that. I don't have to shush him too often any more.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Penny is very vocal, Belle will only bark sometimes while playing with Penny and sometimes at people walking down the sidewalk. It's weird how different sisters can be.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
J.C. is vocal. He loves to talk.
Shadow is only vocal around other dogs she doesn't know.
Holly barks at the door, and other dogs outside along the fence line.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My dog, GIR is a one year old pit bull/German shepherd mix. She is very vocal. She doesn't "bark" per se, but she grunts, whines, and makes a lot of other random sounds. It's adorable.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts