Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin has a rough collie. Great dog, gets along perfectly with little Belly. She's 7 or 8 months old.

My question is regarding her activity level. I plan on getting a collie someday, but I had crazy dreams of going skijoring with him, or mountain biking - him running at my side, Belly on a pack on my back.

My cousin's dog could NOT do something like that. She pants really hard and lags behind if my cousin takes her for a slow jog (I warned her about the epiphyseal plates, but I can't control what others do with their dog).

Is it the summer heat? My cousin has her coat cut shorter than a collie's would normally be, but it's still pretty thick. Is it her age? I know pups have more energy than adult dogs, but maybe not the endurance?

Everyone says collies have a great "off" switch inside the house, but would still be able to go running, hiking, biking, skijoring wtih me. But now that I've spent a good amount of time with one IRL...I know she wouldn't have a hard time hiking, but I'm wondering if a collie wouldn't bea good match for the other activities I had my heart set on...

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
That sounds like a medical issue. The panting and lagging behind from a slow jog? Muggsy died at 13 after having arthritis for about 5 years, and he had no trouble keeping up on an hour brisk walk 2 days before he died.

Unless you mean that she starts panting after an hour into the jog, I'd see about getting that dog to the vet.

·
Super Moderator
7,366 Posts
That sounds like a medical issue. The panting and lagging behind from a slow jog? Muggsy died at 13 after having arthritis for about 5 years, and he had no trouble keeping up on an hour brisk walk 2 days before he died.

Unless you mean that she starts panting after an hour into the jog, I'd see about getting that dog to the vet.
Agreed, that does not sound normal at all.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If anything, the dog just might be unfit. Whether or not the dog is fat or skinny doesn't mean they are fit to jog. If you get a collie and actually do the wonderful things you say you want to do, or at least make sure they're active as a puppy then you should be fine. If you're worried about the thick coat, maybe try a smooth coat?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Blaze just turned 9. he has no issues keeping up on daily hikes in the woods. I normally do a 4km (some days 8 depending on which trail i feel like taking) hike with them while the boyfriend will do a 3km run in the woods with them. Almost every day we do this. (I can not run lol. So I choose to go later in the day after work and walk them. while he jogs them in the AM before work). In the summer/spring we even do 3km leashed walks later at night so thats over 10kms of walking/runing a day pretty much every day

Sounds like the dog may just be unfit. Blaze has done this his whole life, so has always been kept active pretty much every day.

Even our old collie didnt have much issues with daily walks, even up until the day she died at 13.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sounds medical to me. Could be congenital heart issue or else the panting is caused by stress from pain - maybe HD, or spine may be out somewhere. Not normal for a 9mth old pup of any breed to show these signs.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
3+ on something medical being the issue with that dog. Both of my collies are VERY low key, but they have no problem doing multi-hour hikes with me. The rough coat doesn't like the heat, but he doesn't pant like you're describing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts