Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, 51% ownership is definitely a majority.

But if something was divided 3 ways.. say 50 / 25 / 25

the 50 is, or is not the "majority"?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I agree with Dusty that you need more than 50% to be the majority. If the 2 with 25% work together then you have a tie. The person with 50% would have to get one of the others on their side to have a majority.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
In what context? For accounting purposes, anything above 25% (or 15% in some cases) can constitute a controlling interest, even if it's not a majority.

·
Registered
948 Posts
In what context? For accounting purposes, anything above 25% (or 15% in some cases) can constitute a controlling interest, even if it's not a majority.
I understood the context to be more like a closely held enterprise, 50/25/25.

Agree 50% is a controlling interest, when the minority interest is dispersed. If you have ownership split, say, 40/30/20/10, the 40 is controlling, until the 30 and 20 reach an agreement..........

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understood the context to be more like a closely held enterprise, 50/25/25.

Agree 50% is a controlling interest, when the minority interest is dispersed. If you have ownership split, say, 40/30/20/10, the 40 is controlling, until the 30 and 20 reach an agreement..........
Well really the story was that there were 8 cities listed where white people are no longer considered the majority, but still had the highest amount of population.... It's just that all the other races combined are now the majority.

·
Registered
539 Posts
In a sense like that.... I don't think "non white" would be a majority... if they're separating race and you said....

50% white
50% latino then that would be a closer ration than...

50% white
30% mexican
10% peurto rican
10% black

etc...etc

it's hard to say specifically when you're comparing race because a lot of latinos and black children have latino/black, indian/latino, black/white... etc...etc..etc....

let me rephrase this...

40% black
10% latin
10% black
10% asian
10% native american
10% lebanese
10% south pacific

whites would still be the majority to each race... but would be a minority to a technically "non white race combined"....

But that seems kind of segregated... and aren't we all past that?
Where did you read this story... LOL. Make it go away ;)

·
Registered
948 Posts
for the record, my use of the term "minority interest" was with the understanding that it was in the context of ownership shares in a commercial interest.................

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Well really the story was that there were 8 cities listed where white people are no longer considered the majority, but still had the highest amount of population.... It's just that all the other races combined are now the majority.
The word you're looking for is plurality, then. Or the mode.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts