Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iorek will be 15 months old on the 27th of this month. he has never lifted his leg to pee and has never marked. he was neutered at 6 months. he has recently started marking, or what would seem like marking. he used to just pee. he always smelled all the marked places but he never peed there, he just peed where ever and never more than 2 times or so on a walk. now he is sniffing and peeing a little on those places, but still not lifting his leg. today, though, he did lift his leg one time to a tree!

is this weird? i thought that that behaviour was linked to hormones? i thought that dogs that were lifting their leg before they were neutered would continue but if they didn't before then they probably won't start. i could be totally wrong about that though. i just never thought that i would see iorek lift his leg. (my husband is kind of proud...)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I had always thought sammies mature right around the 18 month mark. I just noticed a different type of maturity and response to training around that time. It was much easier!

I won't allow Ilya to mark except areas ok for him to use the bathroom. He has a peculiar way of lifting his leg to pee on the very flat lawn instead of a tree or bush. I'm kinda impressed by his aim because he can hit a single leaf perfectly! :D

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when we are walking i never let iorek "go" on anyone's lawn or anything like that so he is not really marking anything that he shouldn't. he mostly pees a little next to a tree or the garbage cans on the trail. something else that i noticed in the last few days is that he will go around the perimeter of the backyard and pee occasionally around the border. this is new. there was a big, fat, old, strange dog in the backyard the other day, i don't know if he had anything to do with it. iorek didn't meet him but he did sniff like nuts when we went out after.

i didn't think that he could still be maturing since we neutered him (i felt bad for neutering him so early after i learned some more things!) at six months. my friend has iorek's brother and he was lifting his leg since around 5 1/2 - 6 months. he is not neutered yet and marks a lot. i am glad to know that iorek is still maturing. i can't wait until around 18 months if he is going to be easier to train then! i don't know if you saw my training question today... :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts