Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know where exactly to ask this question - but lately Wally has stopped eating...while I'm eating.

Before, when I start eating, he'll start eating.

Now he's waiting until after I eat. I take my plate upstairs and when I come back, there he is - head buried in his bowl.

He doesn't look up when I come in or otherwise divert from the food so it doesn't seem like he learned somewhere that eating in front of me is wrong nor does it seem that he's scared to eat in front of me.

I wonder what prompted this new routine of his. The bowl was just sitting there the whole time. I make him lie on his bed while holding the food bowl. I used to make him "speak" to get the food (when I was teaching "speak") so now he'll bark if I stand there a little longer.

I put the food down as I always have and it stays there, until I stop eating. Nothing changed except his behavior.

I also wonder how he learned when I actually stop eating. I can't fool him either. Once I just sat down and didn't do anything (or look at him), and it's like he knew there was still food on my plate. Once I got up and left to see if that was some kind of cue - nope.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi:)

My dog does this sometimes....I think he waits because he thinks he's going to get something better than what's in his bowl.....I think he can smell what I'm cooking and if his bowl doesn't smell that way -- he waits.

;)

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Poca does the same thing. That's why she gets her kibble first, before we eat. If we waited until we sat down to eat or after we eat she would take forever to eat her kibble because she'd so much rather hold out for something from our plates. Granted, she does usually get vegetables or a little piece of meat if we're having something she can have, so we've trained her to do this. But you didn't mention giving your dog any human food. But maybe he's hoping there's a first time for everything!

·
Banned
749 Posts
I would not worry about him eating after you. When I feed Lola she will not touch her food until I say eat. I usually feed her before I eat and it only takes her about 2 minutes to eat her food. She will then come over to where I am eating (usually I eat in front of the computer) lay down about 5-6 feet away and just look at the floor area where I am eating hoping something falls.

She used to dash over when it did but now if something falls on the floor she will just lay their and watch me pick it up and toss it in the garbage. I think she transitioned my training her not to eat something from the floor which I have taught her with treats unless I point to it, at least in my presence. After I am done eating and get up to put my plate in the sink I have come back to the computer and seen her sniffing the floor.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
KB
Not to worry as it could be stopped by putting bowl down and you chow down taking (I hope) at least 15 minutes to eat(some people eat fast) when your done just pick up his food and feed next day same time while you're eating. It may take 3 or 4 days but eventually he will eat.

That being said I would not do that as long as Wally cleans up his food properly when you get done eating as it would not be a problem for me. I like the 15 minute program to make dog clean up food(don't like the leave food out all day). Food being left and not cleaned up could be a signal of a health problem and I like most owners want to be on top of that. Please I'm not saying that people should stop the self-feed programs that some just love, just saying I don't self-feed.

Sorry got into this and forgot to stop.

I suppose it could be a pet peeve for some people but just not me.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I had to read the thread since it asked a question about "normal..." and I am not so I had to read it... :D

Atka has been taught to not eat until given the release word. This way I am using NILIF and the food is her reward. Sometimes I feed her in her Buster Cube (usually in winter when I know we have not walked far enough etc.).

By using her dog food for something in the NILIF routine AND feeding Oliver (cat) next to her (so if she doesn't eat, he will eat her food (or she is afraid he will), there is never a problem. Dog always eats...

The other ideas are good.

And no, I have no idea if this behavior is normal or not since I have no scale anymore of what IS normal. I haven't owned a "normal" pet in over 25 years... but they say pets take up where the owner leaves off or something... so that is all I am going to say about that.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Our dog will often ask to go outside when we sit down to eat, like he doesn't belong around us when we have food. We find it to be very strange behavior but, it sure beats begging!

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I had to read the thread since it asked a question about "normal..." and I am not so I had to read it... :D

Atka has been taught to not eat until given the release word. This way I am using NILIF and the food is her reward. Sometimes I feed her in her Buster Cube (usually in winter when I know we have not walked far enough etc.).

By using her dog food for something in the NILIF routine AND feeding Oliver (cat) next to her (so if she doesn't eat, he will eat her food (or she is afraid he will), there is never a problem. Dog always eats...

The other ideas are good.

And no, I have no idea if this behavior is normal or not since I have no scale anymore of what IS normal. I haven't owned a "normal" pet in over 25 years... but they say pets take up where the owner leaves off or something... so that is all I am going to say about that.
elana
What is that belief that some dogs and their owners look alike. Maybe this is true about the normal and abnormal also.:D

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He's waiting again, just staring a hole in me while lying on his bed trying to look all pitiful.

He's probably just hoping for something from me like was mentioned.

Ah well, it's no biggie to me. It's his stomach.

Hunger is nature's motivator and if he gets hungry enough, he'll eat.

Oh Oh - he's eating now. Must have figured I might as well eat this doesn't look like anything else is forthcoming and I'm HUNGRY (15 hrs since last meal)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts