Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husky sheltie mix is very energetic. One thing I've noticed is that she enjoys digging holes near fences or places that will allow for her to escape. Is this normal behavior for either the husky or sheltie breed? Does anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Huskys are escape artists and love digging, so. Yeah.

Next up, based on the ones I've known, may well be climbing. Watch that.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Elvin is a Lab/Husky and other than having a powerful jaw and chomping down on random dead animals, he doesnt dig or try to run away. Faith digs and shes Lab.Retrei.Shep..

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Close supervision is the best way to prevent unwanted behaviors like digging and climbing, especially in dogs where it is a known behavior. Keep close watch even in the yard, leash if necessary, never leave a dog alone outside.
For a wide variety of reasons, don't leave your dog outside alone, especially a puppy. Dognapping is a thing, that's how some people earn a living. Some people like to poison dogs by throwing poisoned food over the fence. A coworker's dog gained 10 lbs because her neighbor was throwing all her leftovers to the dog so as not to waste them. Beagles and huskies will dig or climb their way out of a fenced yard. Dogs do not have the sense to avoid skunks. And you'd be surprised how quickly a raccoon can kill a dog. So supervise the dog outside.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Digging holes is pretty normal for any breed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts