Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the dogs for a bordatella vaccine this morning since I'm boarding them in a couple of weeks. They gave them the vaccine that's injected into the nose. Brutus came home and seemed fine. Zero ate his breakfast, then passed out in his crate. That was about 9 am. He's still asleep. I tried to rouse him a while ago to see if he needed to go outside. He woke up only after I started petting him and left the crate only after I coaxed him to do so. I opened the door to see if he needed to go out and he walked right back into his crate. 30 seconds later he was unconscious again. The vet is closed until Monday and they didn't tell me about any side effects. Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
We see a lot of dogs get drowsy after vaccines...especially bordetella.

Unless he has any other symptoms or he doesn't get over his sleepiness by tonight/tomorrow morning I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I work at a boarding Kennel, and we require that the dog gets the Bordatella shot 24 hours before we let the dogs come in, because they do get drowsy and sleepy, and sometimes sick. I think it's like when humans gets the flu shot. You kind of feel off the rest of the day.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, apparently it's affecting Brutus too. He came in, went right to his crate and passed out. I walk by the crate he doesn't care. He's out cold and snoring extremely loud. Does it also affect owners? 'cuz I'm feeling a nap coming on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts