Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok this is a long post but I tried to keep it easily readible.

This summer im taking one of my neighbours tibetan spaniels out 1-3 times a day. We walk 30-50 minutes in parks and so on.

Is the following behaviour normal for a tibetan spaniel or is the dog out of touch from its normal race specific behaviour. I have never taken out these tibetan spaniels before this but this dog does not act like a dog. It acts like a little baby. I have been reading about these dogs but I havent found an answer to the folloging problems.

Dog is:
-6-7 years old,
-male
-food that it eats is of good quality
-dog is not overweight
-is owned by someone you could call a couch potato
-dog is taken physically good care of if it for example needs a doctor
-dog is not beaten or ever has been
-dog has never run freely without a leash
-dog visits a dog park maybe once in 5 months (according to my investigations)

Here are some more details. The dog was not even taught how to sit. I taught it how to sit and it learned that almost immediately, in 3 minutes. The owner said she has never taught him to sit so, or to do any other command. So the dog can learn, at least.

The owner of the dog seems to have treated this "tibby" like a little baby and not like dogs are usually treated. This dog can jump on the couch and it hides bones under the pillow of his owner in her bed. Dog is not bossing around in the house, it is more like baby who believes everything he does is good and innocent. Dog hasnt "grown up".

The dog dont bark or steal food. It actually dont eat if you give it a treat, it dont eat a bone, it dont eat much anything you could consider a treat. Only eats the main course and not even dryfood or pellets (and they are high quality pellets). There is one salami it likes to take and chew. But it chews it like a little baby dog without teeths. When big dogs would eat a bone, you will hear the bones cracking. But at the same time, this little dog is still eating some little salami and trying to bite a piece off.

Sometimes I must look away because it is too cute and too pathetic for me to watch.

So it seems like a nice dog, dont bark, doesnt beg for food, but thats the problem. It doesnt show much any charasteristics of a dog. Well it does lift its leg when it pees. The dog does not seem to know the dog hierarchy systems and it doesnt seem to know how to gain respect from other dogs. This is just a little whining fuzzball and I would like it to not be such a "little baby dog you can kiss".

When we go out in the park, it follows me nicely. But lets say I have for example decided that now we walk this road straight and at a distance of 100 yards to the opposite, this tibetan spaniel sees a dog that looks like another tibetan spaniel. Well after that, this dog im taking out wants to go over there! Ok, I can understand that but I continue going straight. The other "tibetan spaniel" is not even coming to my direction, its going away. After that this tibetan spaniel im taking out starts to whine and tries to go over there. After this I say "NO" and "QUIET". After that I might call the dogs name and try to get him to come, without me needing to pull the leash. He usually comes a little and then I say "good dog" (trying to do positive reinforcement or something). But it ends up almost always so that I have to keep him from going over there by pulling the leash. And then it cries even more. But I continue saying "NO" and "QUIET" and in the end it comes, but this is not a joke, it cries and comes. I mean Come on!

The dog also tries to trick me. Sometimes I let it move freely (more than leash has room) so I can see if it tries to trick me (again), it tries to run/walk to the direction where the other dog/interesting smell was 5 minutes ago, but where I didn't allow it to go. The way where I said "NO" and made it clear to the dog that we go this way, not that way. When you add this to the image of a small dog, whining, acting like a baby, trying to trick his way, its a pathetic image. I would like to add that the dog gets plenty to smell but we just cannot be in the park 6 hours straight everyday like it would want to. When other dogs understand that now we go back, this particular dog resists the idea and it looks to me like im someone who killed 100 dogs for breakfast.

But what I mean is, all the other dogs I have taken out and I have taken dogs out for 13 years (but im no expert), all the other dogs obey me when I say "no" or "quiet". The older they get, the less they even behave badly. But this tibetan spaniel, it cries and whines like some baby. Last time I saw behaviour like this was in school when I was 8 years old and I saw someone drop his pancakes on the floor and he started to cry for new ones.

This dog does not remind me of a dog. It reminds me of a baby. The owner said to me that she might want to have a chihuahua because you can keep it in a basket and its so cute. The owner also said that she has never let the dog run loose without a leash. She said that I should not let it run freely.

Some more details: The dog will bark almost every minute if it is left alone in the home by the owner. It will cry and bark even more if you leave it in the home with the lights off. That is almost the only situation where it will bark. So it tries to blackmail (or it goes to panic) when its left alone (I think its some kind of a panic).

2 days ago I was taking this out and we met a terrier. The male terrier started to jump on this "tibby" and this dog didn't even jump back and play. He walked away, almost a bit scared. Today I met one neighbour who has a bulldog. Well this tibetan spaniel is afraid of it. The bulldog is not aggressive, it walks slowly and doesnt even notice this "tibby". I have never seen a dog act like this. It almost jumped when the bulldog was 2 yards away from it and decided to walk 1 feet toward the tibetan spaniel. They wont even go to the same elevator.

So this is a male dog but it really does not seem to be a male dog. A 6-7 year old dog should not whine every time I try to take it away from some nice smelly place out in the park. I know this isnt my dog but I mean, cmone.

I think this dogs situation (which is not 100% bad, but it is unusual) is a result of his owner treating the dog like a real human being and a baby. The owner says she talks to the dog everyday for 1 hour like it would be some human.

So, is this normal tibetan spaniel behaviour. Or is this the result of a dog that has not had enough social encounters with other dogs, has had no dog training so it dont know much anything about hierarchial systems. And when I say "NO" and pull it away from a smelly place/place it likes to smell, some lamp etc, it will cry. Because it dont understand like other dogs do, that human says we go, then you go. The dog seems to honestly cry and to be in shock that I would put some borders and limits when I take it out.

If someone knows anything what im talking about and would have some tips on how to help this dog, they would be much appreciated. I would like to know if I even need to try to help the dog. Is the dog better off without any help. I have known the owner for over 15 years so thats why im willing to spend my time for free if some training needs to be done. This dog needs not to be afraid of the dark, not to whine if I let it pee 30 times and on 31th time I dont let it.
Thanks for any tips.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
It sounds like this dog could be socialized a bit more--introduced to new things, dogs, and people. This should be done slowly. I think you're expecting too much, especially since it's not your dog, and therefore your interaction with it is limited.

If I were in your position and wanted to help the dog, I'd probably try to introduce it to new things slowly. If it's used to things being a certain way, he's going to whine. You need to be patient while you show him there are different things out there.

I don't think it's fair to expect a dog to know what you mean by "no" or "quiet." Instead of "no," teach a command that helps the dog know what to do. I think dogs get a lot of "don't do this, don't do that," which doesn't help them a whole lot. What do you want him to do? Focus on teaching that.

I don't think it's a big deal that it hasn't been off leash. A dog without good recall shouldn't be off leash unless in a fenced area. And dog parks aren't for everyone, whether people or dog.

Honestly, patience is the key. I would focus less on whether this is "normal" than on being patient and doing what you can to help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i don't mean to be rude but that is WAY too long, could you just give me the general idea

Im taking out a dog that is not mine. The dog seems to be on some kind of a puppy stage but it is already 6-7 years old. Dog has not learnt hierarchical systems that dogs learn from an early age. Dog cries a lot and it seems to be really shocked when I dont let it smell every possible place (doesnt cry always but once a day almost when im taking it out).

the dog has not:
1: ever run freely except in a dog park
2: visits a dog park very rarely.

Dog didnt know how to sit before I taught it. It learned to sit in about 3 minutes so it actually is not so stupid.

How can this dog be re-familiarized with its normal tibetan spaniel/or DOG behaviour and how can it be brought back to "social dog world" because it has been isolated and secluded a little bit.

Dog is 6-7 years old and is an overgrown puppy.

Thracian: thanks for your good tips.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
The dog needs to be around other friendly, well-socialized dogs who are familiar with canine body language and how to project and interpret it. These dogs may be found at a training class, at a well-controlled dog park, at a friend's house, etc. It may not ever be a natural at imitating this body language, but socializing it with other dogs will keep it from being so anxious to meet them on walks.

What does your Tibetan do if it actually does get to meet another dog on a leash? Is it aggressive? Excessively friendly? I'm willing to bet it pulls and whines wanting to get to the dog... and when it gets to the other dog it cowers, barks, shrinks away. That, or it stands there, wondering why the heck the other dog is trying to sniff its butt.

As with Thracian's advice -- the sounds of "No" and "Quiet" mean nothing to this dog. You might as well be shouting "Airplane!" or "Giblintspitz!" Instead of confusing the dog with random syllables, teach an incompatible behaviour, like "watch me". A dog can't pull on the leash and cry if its eyes are on your face, so you teach a cue like "watch me" and give it each time he starts to see another dog. (You can learn about how to teach "watch me" here: http://www.loveyourdog.com/watch.html)

What does the dog eat?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The dog eats mostly foods bought from the store, like ready to eat foods but they arent can food or shelf food, they are that kind that you buy in a refigerator in the store. It wont eat the cheap dog can food or those, it eats only these ready foods that are a little more expensive. It has good high quality dry pellets that it got one week ago but it hasnt touched them. Then it also eats little salamis that are created for a dog.

Today the owner asked if i can shower the dog with cool water in the bathroom. After one minute of watering it, it started to make whining noises. In the end when I was finished I could see it was shaking and was really scared. Usually dogs that I have washed only get annoyed of the water and they want to leave.

Then I took it away and dried the dog with a towel. One minute after this it went to the living room happily and started to curl on the carpet and to play.

But its possible that I might still be a stranger for the dog and it could be afraid of me. It didnt know me 3 weeks ago, even if we live in the same building but I never pet the dog or anything.

Yea I should probably find more dog company for him and that will probably make the dog more happy. It usually sleeps in one corner near the kitchen. When the dog gets to go out, its very happy. Like its never been out before.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Now I have seen this dog a little more. The dog is actually very nice and it was probably too sophisticated for me when you compare this to other dogs that I have takíng out. This dog wont bark even once when we are going out and when I put the leash on. It sits nicely at the door. So some of its personality traits werent because of "bad training or lack of training", it was just that it was so sophisticated and nice that I didnt even understand.

So once again, problem wasnt so much in the dog but it was in the human, hehehehehe.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Sounds like the dog is just not trained or socialized. it whines becuase its owner gives in to is cries. it cries int he shower, so owner probably coodles it, sweet talks it or stops bathing it altogether, which means dog cries=dog wins gets his way.

Sounds like a spoiled brat IMO. Who needs lots of training. But I doubt the owner will ever do that. I dont know what kind of food you speak off, pellets? fridge food?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I meant like dog can food that is kept in the fridge and dry dog food.

But the "problem" doesnt seem to be so big as I thought in the first post, I was just "reading" the dog incorrectly.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Tibetan Spaniels don't like being left alone. They like to sit on top of a sofa and watch out the window like cats.

Usually, they are more of an aloof type dog.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts