Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

is this lost basset hound preggo?

Tags
dog preggo
1K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  ThoseWordsAtBest 
#1 ·
we just found a basset hound out side are house who allmost got ran over. we went a head and took her in...im not sure how old she is or who her owners are. she was really underfeed, you could see her bones, hip bones too. but her belly is quit big.. now we are worry she is preggo.. we dont want to take her to the vet and spend money to find out becuase we may not have her that long since we are looking for her owner. but since we may have her a few days we dont want to wake up to find puppys lol. so how can i tell if she is preggo. and if she is what do we do?? and if shes not preggo is it ok that her belly is so big and kinda hard?

#4 ·
all so see seems to want to sleep alot.. we have a black lab/ blue heeler mix thats only 3 1/2 months old and she gets along with him great so far but every so often she snaps at him or well growl while she is laying down... sees really nice to my kids and loves me to pet her. if i take a pic of her well that help.. ive never had a basset hound befor so lol

#5 ·
You might want to just hand this dog over to animal control or a shelter asap to be safe. If something goes horribly wrong she's gonna need a c-sec fast to save her and her pups lives. That can easily cost $1000+ even more if it's on a Sunday or after Vet hours (which they ALWAYS are it seems).

#7 ·
She needs to see a vet. Either you take her because you plan to keep her or you take her to the shelter and let them take care of her.

I vote shelter, plus if she is microchipped, they can see who she belongs to. If they can't find an owner, they can find homes for the pups (and give them the required shots and vet care).

If she was bred to a large breed dog, having puppies could kill her and them without c-section and vet care. If she has worms, that could kill her and could be dangerous to your other dog(s).

#8 ·
Look for signs. Are her nipples large, pink and swollen at all? Is her vulva slack and elongated? When she is resting, can you quietly lay a hand on her stomach and feel puppies moving? When she is sleeping, can you see puppies moving? Yup.. they move just like human babies.

She could be lethargic for any number of reasons. Malnutrition, heart worm, late stage pregnancy, worms (you don't always see the worms BTW), kidney disease, pyometra or any other number of illnesses. Take her temperature if she will elt you and see if it is in normal ranges (100-102.5).

She sounds like she really needs to see a vet, preggo or not.

#10 ·
she was really underfeed, you could see her bones, hip bones too.
I'd be kinda dubious about trying to find an owner of a dog that looked like that. Sounds like neglect. -OR- the dog has been lost for a long time, in which case the chances of finding an owner go down a lot, unless like I mentioned, she's chipped. Many vets can also check for microchips in addition to the shelters/animal control.

I just noticed that your other dog is a puppy-- I'd be more worried about the found dog passing along something to a puppy than a fully vaccinated adult dog.

#11 · (Edited)
yeah. we have desided to call the animal control tomorrow and see if any one has lost a basset hound. and if not we are taking her to are vet to see if shes ok and to see about shots.... if shes is preggo we well go ahead and see if she can have the babys with out worry.. and go from there.. we are keeping the two dogs away from each other now. just in case... and i well watch her tonight...mmmmm ok so i just put my hand on her belly and so did my husband and we felt movment.. well i guess its movement ...when we first place are hands on her belly theres a kick feeling..then like a gergle movement..ok and there is a bump under her ribs that if you lightly push on it like to move it, it well move .. you can till its in the belly area to not something that is on the out side lol does that make since.. im sorry ive never had a dog befor that maybe preggo. all are dogs have been "cut" and shoots done....so this is all new.... ok also the nipples are not pick. you can see them and feel them pertty good but not really big.. also her "girly part" does seem bigger then what it normaly should be, i guesseing...its also alittle whiter around that area. not sure if thats normal for a basset..

#15 ·
no i dont see any pus coming out.. but shes lickes that area alot . well more then my dog that is.. the only problem i have with her is she keeps scratching my couch befor she lays down and im afread its going to mess up my couch.. why is she scratching it?

#16 ·
and then there is that silvery white discharge just before birth when the vaginal "plug" comes off.. This you usually do not see as the dog will often keep herself clean.

Late in pregnancy the movement of the puppies can sometimes be pretty obvious as she is laying quietloy on her side sleeping or dozing.

Well, you are taking her to the vet so let us know what is found out! Good luck to you and to this little dog.

She is making a nest. A LOT of dogs scratch before they lay down (including my spayed female when she is very tired). Get a towel and lay it on the couch or some other cover you won't mind getting messede up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.