Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am feeding my current dog(french bulldog) a good mix of raw food for his morning meal and natures variety instinct kibble for his evening one. I am supplementing w/ fish oil, vitamin C+E and a little kelp powder. He seems to be doing well on this but my concern right now is that Im getting a puppy in 2 weeks (shar pei). Since the NVI is so high in calcium(2.49%),should I back up the bones in their diet or is it ok? This is the nutritional facts of the food www.naturesvariety.com/Instinct/dog/kibble/chicken BTW, I read somewhere that shar peis are considered a "giant breed" due to there rapid growth rate. Any info on the calcium intake or anything else I may be doing wrong would be appreciated.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm kind of wary of NV right now as some of their formulas are having problems and one has been recalled.

As long as the calcium and phosphorous level is balanced you should be fine. You want around 1:1-2:1 you want a bit more calcium than phosphorous. The only thing about NV raw is it might get expensive with a shar pei added in.

Shar pei's are definitely not a giant breed though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Im making my own raw, not buying it premade. I just looked up the recall and it said something to the extent of one kind was developing an odor and not staying fresh as it should. Luckily there wasnt anything wrong with the formula and it only affected 1 kind. It was the beef and barley type. The calcium-phosphorus is in the right porportion. I read the giant breed thing here http://www.cspca.com/PubEd/OwnerGuide.pdf
Its in the growth section. I thought it was weird when I read it too. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think boxerlover was referring to a lot of people on forums complaining about a lot of NV's food smelling off/funny. An expanded recall is possible. However if your food is smelling fine and you're not worried then you're fine. Just keep an eye out for the smell.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I think boxerlover was referring to a lot of people on forums complaining about a lot of NV's food smelling off/funny. An expanded recall is possible. However if your food is smelling fine and you're not worried then you're fine. Just keep an eye out for the smell.
Yep exactly.

And sorry I read that wrong. What is your raw mix?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not an advocate of NV or anything. It is actually my first bag of the stuff. It was between that and Merrick. They both were consistantly on the top of several different dog food reviews. My dog hasnt been on it long enough for me to jusdge how good it is. I am switching between beef, chicken and sardines with gizzards and liver mixed in and a tiny bit of blended veggies.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Im not an advocate of NV or anything. It is actually my first bag of the stuff. It was between that and Merrick. They both were consistantly on the top of several different dog food reviews. My dog hasnt been on it long enough for me to jusdge how good it is. I am switching between beef, chicken and sardines with gizzards and liver mixed in and a tiny bit of blended veggies.
Ok thank sounds great! Is it boneless or bone in? What pieces are you feeding or grinding?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hes getting chicken bone in, the beef is ground fresh and the sardines are out of a can. Should I add more bones or is the dry foods calcuim enough to satisfy the calcium?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Since you're feeding half and half you should try to make the raw as balanced as if you were feeding 100% raw. His raw meals should be 80% meat, 10% organ and 10% bone. You can balance it per meal, but it's generally easier to try to get balance over a week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since you're feeding half and half you should try to make the raw as balanced as if you were feeding 100% raw. His raw meals should be 80% meat, 10% organ and 10% bone. You can balance it per meal, but it's generally easier to try to get balance over a week.
I just didnt want to overload the puppy Im getting with too much calcium.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I just didnt want to overload the puppy Im getting with too much calcium.
I believe the calcium in bones gets passed if its nt needed. That's why you find shards of bone in poop sometimes. It can also be passed in urine so your puppy will be fine.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I believe the calcium in bones gets passed if its nt needed. That's why you find shards of bone in poop sometimes. It can also be passed in urine so your puppy will be fine.
Are you sure about that? People pay close attention to calcium/phosphorus ratios in kibble for puppies...I don't see why this would be different for raw food.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Are you sure about that? People pay close attention to calcium/phosphorus ratios in kibble for puppies...I don't see why this would be different for raw food.
Honestly, I can't prove anything obviously. The calcium and phosphorous levels in bones even out as long as the bone content is around 10%. As long as you don't have white poops which signals too much none which in turn shows its too much calcium because of the chalkiness of the poops.

·
Registered
400 Posts
And it doesn't necessarily have to be around 10%. Every dog is different and needs different levels of bone.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Honestly, I can't prove anything obviously. The calcium and phosphorous levels in bones even out as long as the bone content is around 10%. As long as you don't have white poops which signals too much none which in turn shows its too much calcium because of the chalkiness of the poops.
I just think that's some pretty dangerous advice to be giving if you're not totally sure. "You don't have to be exactly perfect with ratios, just about 10% bone" and "It doesn't matter how much bone/calcium your dog gets (even much too much) because any excess will be passed" are in my opinion, VERY different things. Based on my own knowledge of nutrition (which I admit may be flawed) I would never suggest to someone that excess dietary calcium won't have any negative effect on a pup's growing bones and joints.

To the OP: Feeding half kibble and half fully balanced raw diet will not be too much calcium. Think of it as the kibble providing 50% of the calcium needed (since it's supposed to be fully balanced as a staple diet and you're feeding it as half the diet) and the raw providing the other 50%. As long as the bone stays around 10% of the raw half of the diet, you're golden. :) When I feed half raw, I type her weight into a raw feeding calculator as 10 pounds (even though she weighs 20) and that gives me the perfect amounts for half of her diet. It makes it easier for me at least.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I just think that's some pretty dangerous advice to be giving if you're not totally sure. "You don't have to be exactly perfect with ratios, just about 10% bone" and "It doesn't matter how much bone/calcium your dog gets (even much too much) because any excess will be passed" are in my opinion, VERY different things. Based on my own knowledge of nutrition (which I admit may be flawed) I would never suggest to someone that excess dietary calcium won't have any negative effect on a pup's growing bones and joints.

To the OP: Feeding half kibble and half fully balanced raw diet will not be too much calcium. Think of it as the kibble providing 50% of the calcium needed (since it's supposed to be fully balanced as a staple diet and you're feeding it as half the diet) and the raw providing the other 50%. As long as the bone stays around 10% of the raw half of the diet, you're golden. :) When I feed half raw, I type her weight into a raw feeding calculator as 10 pounds (even though she weighs 20) and that gives me the perfect amounts for half of her diet. It makes it easier for me at least.
I would never be that carefree as what you put in quotes. Like I said you know you're feeding too much bone when poop is white. You know you have too much calcium because it's chalky also. Plus, some things that are in excess do pass in urine or poop. A lot of multi vitamins are made so that will happen to there's no vitamin overload. One I can think of easily is Ultimate by Nature's Farmacy. Not to mention getting calcium naturally or being it fed as a supplement is very different.

If you really wanted to get down to specifics I'd ask a Great Dane breeder. A lot feed raw and they definitely know about calcium/phosphorous.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I would never be that carefree as what you put in quotes.
And I would never be that carefree about the assurances you make to dog owners who are trying to learn something from you. Different strokes, I s'pose.

·
Registered
400 Posts
And I would never be that carefree about the assurances you make to dog owners who are trying to learn something from you. Different strokes, I s'pose.
Like I said its what I believe makes sense. I also said I can't prove it. I wasn't trying to be carefree if it came off that way. I'm a research nut, I would never just say something just because I feel like it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts