Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on another forum and someone said it looks irratated but not like cherry eye, I just want to be safe.. We are going to take her to the vet tomorrow anyway..

Me and my wife bought our 2nd bulldog this week, She was about 1850. Cute girl, Apartently the vet checked her out and gave her a clean bill before she flew in yesterday. When we picked her up yesterday we noticed something was wrong with her eye. It had alot of Yellow/brown drainage around it crusted and something that looked like cherry eye. In the pictures from the owner she looked fine, The lady is VERY nice and is still contacting us about it. She claims it wasn't there when she was sent and she has a warrenty on the dog. She says she'll give a full refund but we love the dog so much already. She is so sweet.

I'm going to take her to the vet tomorrow when they open to see what we can do, If it's worth keeping her we will even front the vent bills, But I'm very concerned it's cherry eye and I'm not sure it's not worth sending her back. Also when she woke up this morning her eye was crusted shut and I had to open it for her. We love her dearly already and hopefully it's something easily treatable.

Here is a link to the pictures I uploaded.

Dolly

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
andrew, I am glad you are taking Dolly to the vet to have it checked out. we only get one set of eyes and it is important to take care of them. It doesn't look like Cherry eye to me but it might just be starting. I have seen dogs with severe cherry eye and it is much much worse then that. Dolly might just have a mild irritation. Hopefully you will get help for her tomorrow, good luck at the vet.

Welcome to the forum too. Hopefully you hang around for awhile and share some stories. Dolly is adorable too by the way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good to here and certianly we will. She needs a checkup anyway from our vet. She had a bed of shredded paper in her crate I'm hoping it's just that that caused the irriation.

Thank you for the welcome and the help, Here she is again with my little 7 month year old(70 LB and growing!) boy.

Daddy's Boy!

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
He is too cute! Not many things cuter then an English Bulldog. :) With the possible exception of a Rottweiler. ;) Looks like they are getting along pretty well already. That is good to see. I have a friend that was real into English Bulldogs. She still has a few of them, but no longer breeds them. They were all great dogs, lots of personality. Maybe not heavy on social graces though.:rolleyes: They always looked like they had a hard time holding their own heads up. LOL When they would run around, you couldn't help but laugh. They really seem to be a breed with a great sense of humor.:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We were thinking about getting a rotti as our 3rd dog to but then went with a female english bulldog so we could breed them once or twice(about a year and half down the road). We know the risks and all but we have some friends who did a bit of breeding with them and said they would help with the breeding and births. Hopefully this is just a eye irration and not cherry eye.

This is our other puppy a samoyed with our other english bulldog, She is a angel.

link

·
Registered
261 Posts
I could go either way on the cherry eye from the pics. I hope it is not because it is genetic in some bully breeds. I know my dog it is. I do not know about englishes but alot of breeders will not breed with dogs with cherry eyes because it is considered a genetic defect. I hope it is not. Congrats on the new pup it is way to cute. There is nothing cuter than a bull dog pup. Please do your research on how to be a reputable breeder so you can gain respect in the canine comunity, it is worth the time and your pups will be worth alot more. Good luck with all the pup stuff. S

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was Conjunctivitis which the brought on a mild case of cherry eye, It'll be gone in 5-7 days with some medicene we got. It wasn't the worst of our problems. The vet discovered she had grade 1 Luxating patella(trick knee) which IS genetic and she said do NOT breed that dog and suggested strongly returning her. She warned us within 5 years or so she's going to have bad knee/leg problems.

We fell in love with her though, She was checked out by a vet that specializes in bulldogs the day before she was sent and was cleared. Not sure what to think. The breeded offered for a full return + travel but said she did not believe the 2nd part she's only 12 weeks old and has growing to do. We don't know what to think. We decided to keep her because we do love her, The eye will clear up and hopefully the leg does too but we're not going to breed her with our other pup. My wife's best friend bought a female as well which is 1 day older then ours(8 months) we'll still breed them together. Just not the only one.

Just sucks spending 1800 on a dog when you can't do what you want and you know big vet bills are coming down the line but when you're in the english bulldog business that happens I guess.

Hopefully we can find some sort of supplements or something that can tighten up her legs, We will prolly seek a second opinion to be sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts