Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.blessedacrescollie.net/

Everything she's saying sounds right so far, but I had some hesitation when I googled her and found she had ads for two other breeds (Maltizu and King Charles Spaniels), yet nothing came up for her in terms of showing her dogs. Of course, you don't have to show to be a good breeder (looks like they breed service dogs), and I suppose it's possible to breed more than one kind of dog on a big horse farm like that, but it seems...odd. The breeders I've met usually just do it because they love the breed; I don't think it would have occurred to them to embrace three different breeds (very different, it's not like they have collies and shelties).

But, she is being selective about interviewing me (as opposed to just trying to sell a dog), which I expect, and everything she said below is exactly what I would hope to hear from a responsible breeder:

"All pups either go to the opthamologist or have optigen tested parents. These pups are also guaranteed free of PRA based on optigen testing something that cannot be checked for without the screening.
All pups are dewormed at 3, 5, and 7 weeks
All pups get a Neo Par at 5.5 weeks and a DPV at 7.5 weeks these dates are approx based on size and when I can have some administer the vaccines.
All pups are microchipped.
All pups come with a 5yr health guarantee this is on my website are you also wishing to read the bill of sale?
Pups are temperament tested so I can use the best ones for service and therapy dogs and the others go for pets or occasional preformance homes but disposition and health are our priorities here

Giving this 5year guarantee I have only ever replaced one puppy due to possible hip displacia but when the pup was rechecked later he was fine.
These are very clean lines because if not I could put someone at risk for their service animal become unusable and their lifeline gone.
This is such an extreme responsibility sometimes I make myself nuts.

The pups are raised in a custom designed cottage with climate control its like a little vacation cottage so I can begin potty training. I used to raise them in my kitchen but this is much healthier for the pups and happier for my clients it gives them an entire room to call their own.
Pups are handled by children and adults more than just our family and have mild exposure to goats, horses and a cat all prior to leaving."

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Does she test her CKCS for SM and MVD? Since maltitzus are not a breed I'm not sure what health testing would be relevant. On another thread many posters seem to believe that breeders who show are evil people with bad intent who deserve to be treated like criminals

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Does she test her CKCS for SM and MVD? Since maltitzus are not a breed I'm not sure what health testing would be relevant. On another thread many posters seem to believe that breeders who show are evil people with bad intent who deserve to be treated like criminals
Oh for the love of god. Nobody believes that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The 5 year guarantee isn't good for much.

"Dog purchased with limited AKC, or no registration is guaranteed for 5 years of life for any genetic defect that would cause the dog to die or live such a poor quality of life a licensed veterinarian would suggest uthanizing the dog."

So basically it only counts if your pup kicks the bucket. I would look for a little bit more in a guarantee, but that on it's own isn't a deal breaker.

None of the dogs appear to have show titles, although therapy work is redeeming. I require that the breeder participates in something with their dogs and if they're actively doing therapy work that's nice to see. I'd ask more about that- i.e. how many of their dogs do it, etc. It's also not ideal that none of their pedigrees are online and that you have to ask for them (I'd suspect a good breeder to be proud and want to flaunt their pedigrees), but it's not a dealbreaker either. The multiple dog breeds on it's own isn't a problem, although they are kind of a 'random' assortment.

If I were you, I'd visit. I don't get the feeling of love and devotion from their website (no bios on their dogs, only one picture per dog), but some people just don't have great websites. I'd also try to get as much information about what health tests they do as you can. I don't have any experience with Collies, so I don't know what tests are necessary. Overall, they have a couple of things that aren't ideal, but TBH, there is no perfect breeder. Price is pretty good, too.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
http://www.blessedacrescollie.net/

Everything she's saying sounds right so far, but I had some hesitation when I googled her and found she had ads for two other breeds (Maltizu and King Charles Spaniels), yet nothing came up for her in terms of showing her dogs. Of course, you don't have to show to be a good breeder (looks like they breed service dogs), and I suppose it's possible to breed more than one kind of dog on a big horse farm like that, but it seems...odd. The breeders I've met usually just do it because they love the breed; I don't think it would have occurred to them to embrace three different breeds (very different, it's not like they have collies and shelties).

But, she is being selective about interviewing me (as opposed to just trying to sell a dog), which I expect, and everything she said below is exactly what I would hope to hear from a responsible breeder:

"All pups either go to the opthamologist or have optigen tested parents. These pups are also guaranteed free of PRA based on optigen testing something that cannot be checked for without the screening.All pups are dewormed at 3, 5, and 7 weeks
All pups get a Neo Par at 5.5 weeks and a DPV at 7.5 weeks these dates are approx based on size and when I can have some administer the vaccines.
All pups are microchipped.
All pups come with a 5yr health guarantee this is on my website are you also wishing to read the bill of sale?
Pups are temperament tested so I can use the best ones for service and therapy dogs and the others go for pets or occasional preformance homes but disposition and health are our priorities here

Giving this 5year guarantee I have only ever replaced one puppy due to possible hip displacia but when the pup was rechecked later he was fine.
These are very clean lines because if not I could put someone at risk for their service animal become unusable and their lifeline gone.
This is such an extreme responsibility sometimes I make myself nuts.

The pups are raised in a custom designed cottage with climate control its like a little vacation cottage so I can begin potty training. I used to raise them in my kitchen but this is much healthier for the pups and happier for my clients it gives them an entire room to call their own.
Pups are handled by children and adults more than just our family and have mild exposure to goats, horses and a cat all prior to leaving."
There is woefully little information on that site. Might not be a bad thing.... But I would like to see some pedigrees, some registered names, etc. If she is testing and testing regularly it is very simple to look that up via OFA.....

I took a stab in the dark and typed in blessed acres in the OFA search. I cam up with a single dog.
http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=1278383#animal

That bitch only had her elbows and thyroid done. No hips (Could be doing Penn Hip but I will not buy an offspring of a Penn Hip tested dog, unless it has all been OFA'd) And NO PRA!

And one offspring of this bitch has had its hips OFA'd....It came back with Mild Dysplasia.

If she is testing, she is not using Blessed Acres in the registered name.

But what I have seen looks bad.

And then there are the two items in the Quote that I bolded.

1) In dealing with the PRA issue. I know Collies have eye issues. But they are not my breed so I am not up to speed. But I am well versed on PRA.... Because it is in my breed as well. An Opthamologist cannot clear a puppy of PRA. It is a genetic issue that develops later in life with NO VISIBLE marker.
So an Opthamologist looking at a puppies eyes means NOTHING... In other words it sets off my BS meter.

Now.... Optigen is the real deal and the only way to screen and clear PRA. While there is no visible marker for the condition. There is a genetic marker in the DNA. When DNA samples are sent in to Optigen they screen the DNA and the dog comes back an A, B, or C.. An a dog is clear. B dog is a carrier, they will never develop the condition but they can pass it and should only be bred to an A. C dog is affected. It will develop the condition at some point and can pass it.

OFA is the listing and cataloging organization of Optigen. You send the DNA sample, Optigen tests it and sends the results to the owner(s) and OFA. Where it is listed.

The one Blessed Acres dog I found on OFA did not have an Optigen PRA Test....

2) She temperament tests all the puppies and keeps the best for service dogs. This bothers me a lot.

And while I am a firm believer that you can successfully evaluate temperaments at 7 weeks and have a good gauge of what you are looking at.... If she is keeping the best, is she selling the worst?

Probably just poor wording... But it rubs me bad....

Without knowing some pedigrees, and what I know about PRA.... And what she wrote on the subject on her site, she would never get a call from me.... Where there is smoke there is fire.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
For reference.... This is what a well tested dog should look like on OFA... These are my dog's tests.....

ACD-PRA1244/3M-VPI-CAR PROGRESSIVE RETINAL ATROPHY Sep 11 2007 Oct 16 2007 3 GENOTYPIC CARRIER FOR prcd-PRA
ACD-CA66/24M/P-VPI CARDIAC Jun 2 2009 Jun 16 2009 24 NORMAL - PRACTITIONER
ACD-PA42/24M/P-VPI PATELLA Jun 2 2009 Jun 16 2009 24 NORMAL - PRACTITIONER
ACD-2433G24M-VPI HIPS Jun 2 2009 Jun 17 2009 24 GOOD
ACD-EL565M24-VPI ELBOW Jun 2 2009 Jun 17 2009 24 NORMAL
ACD-1893 CERF Jun 20 2009 Jun 20 2009 25 TESTED: 09
ACD-BR332/25M-VPI BAER HEARING TEST Jul 7 2009 Jul 8 2009 25 HEARING (NORMAL)

The bolded item is how a PRA test should look. It says Carrier. My dog is a B dog... He carries the gene for PRA but will never develop it. He will only ever be bred to A bitches.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
but I had some hesitation when I googled her and found she had ads for two other breeds (Maltizu and King Charles Spaniels),
The breeder also has listed for sale online a Pom puppy, a "Malti-Pom" puppy and a Shih Tzu puppy. All under 12 weeks right now; meaning they had to have at least 3 litters on the ground at the same time to have puppies for sale all the same age. Selling on NextDayPets and other "broker" type websites is a big red flag to me, in addition to the large number of breeds and puppies available at any given time.

If you look at Oodle marketplace, the owner is also selling dogs under her own name including "tea cup" Shih Tzus aka "chinese imperial" and one of the males is advertised with this quote:
"I will offer a health guarantee as there is nothing wrong with this dog except he is a breeding machine and my other male Shih tzu is not getting to breed any of my girls."
Doesn't sound like there is a great deal of thoughtfulness about planning the breedings.....

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I posted the websites of a couple of legitimate Virginia collie breeders on your "collie or golden" thread. I agree with the others, this breeder just doesn't feel right to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts