Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 6 month old pitbull mix puppy.

In the am he poops normal. But as the day progresses, his poop gradually gets more watery.... Almost like diarrhea. He's been like this everyday for the past two weeks.

Diet: puppy food (no change)
  • Members mark chicken rice for puppies. About 4 cups daily
  • 1 tsp peanut butter
  • grain free peanut butter treats

The only new addition has been these packet of omega3 fats /vitamen e by coremega. (Suppsed to be for healthy skin/hair)

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Did your vet recommend the supplement? Unless they have an underlying condition like mange or another skin infection, most puppies don't need supplements, and oil-based ones can cause diarrhea.

Assuming that his vet has seen him and says he's healthy, one thing to consider is that you might be over-feeding him. Too much food can cause loose stools. If you think he needs more calories, then switching to a higher calorie food might be a better option than just giving him more of what he's already eating.

Just as an FYI, make sure that the peanut butter you are giving him doesn't have artificial sweeteners like xylitol in it. The PB I buy has two ingredients...peanuts and salt. Yes, it's a bit of a pain to have to mix it up and keep it in the fridge, but it tastes so much better than the stuff that's full of sugar and other sweeteners.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The PB I buy has two ingredients...peanuts and salt. Yes, it's a bit of a pain to have to mix it up and keep it in the fridge, but it tastes so much better than the stuff that's full of sugar and other sweeteners.
If I may ask, what brand?

·
Banned
126 Posts

In the am he poops normal. But as the day progresses, his poop gradually gets more watery.... Almost like diarrhea. He's been like this everyday for the past two weeks.

• 1 tsp peanut butter

The only new addition has been these packet of omega3 fats /vitamen e by coremega. (Suppsed to be for healthy skin/hair)
If it sleeps all night, it wakes in the am not as hydrated as the rest of the day. Is it normal, i don't know, is it common, i think so...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea i give him Kirkland organic peanut butter. Only ingredients are peanuts and salts. Same stuff i eat. The other ones are bad for humans because the extra ingredients include the bad cholesterol 😃

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
If I may ask, what brand?
Kroger brand generic. There are a few brand names, as well, one of them being Laura Scudder's. A lot of organic nut butters are also only two or three ingredients.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Between the peanut butter and the supplement that is a LOT of fat.

I suggest you drop the treats and the peanut butter. Also, 4 cups of food seems like a lot of food. When I fed kibble to dogs that were going to top out at 80 pounds as adults I did not feed that much food.

How often do you feed? At 6 months old you can drop feeding down to twice a day. I would give no more than 3c. of kibble a day for awhile and see how it goes.

·
Registered
25 Posts

• 1 tsp peanut butter

Too much peanut butter. Just a question why are you feeling peanut butter?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Between the peanut butter and the supplement that is a LOT of fat.

I suggest you drop the treats and the peanut butter. Also, 4 cups of food seems like a lot of food. When I fed kibble to dogs that were going to top out at 80 pounds as adults I did not feed that much food.

How often do you feed? At 6 months old you can drop feeding down to twice a day. I would give no more than 3c. of kibble a day for awhile and see how it goes.
I think you are on the right track.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Too much peanut butter. Just a question why are you feeling peanut butter?
A teaspoon (assuming it's a standard teaspoon) isn't that much. As for why feed it, you can use it to bind together kibble or treats in a Kong or other food toy, or else smush it into a licky mat for training or just enrichment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts