Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I let Oliver out on a lead for 10 minutes or so whenever he has to go potty. Today he found a pine cone after he peed. He had such fun, flipping it around and chasing it within the bounds of a 10-foot lead. Then he lay down and started chewing it.

Is this bad for him? Poison? I brought him in and gave him one of his stuffed toys. I felt bad because he was having such fun out there in the (pre-snow) fresh air.

Anybody know anything about pine cones and whether they're bad for puppies?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I know they're safe for rabbits (they even sell them in the pet store :p). They might be a bit rough on the mouth but I don't think they're toxic at all.

·
Registered
85 Posts
We have 15 large pine trees in our backyard and our dogs chew pine cones all the time. I have tried to stop them before they swallow anything, but sometimes they are very quick. They have never actually eaten or swallowed any of it; I am pretty sure they just like the smell. Just keep an eye on him and see what he does with it. If he is just playing with it, he should be fine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went out afterwards and picked it up and saw bits of it were "gone." Swallowed? Could be. It does look like these pieces, even if not poisonous, could be rough on his insides. (He's only 9 pounds*. He couldn't swallow it whole.)

*Up from 6 1/2 pounds when I got him.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Well, watch how he poops and acts generally. He'll probably be okay. Maybe you could leave a chew toy or two outside for him?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a good idea. Something he can flip and play with but won't roll away from the circumference of his lead.

I want to emphasize: I do NOT tie him up alone outside! This is just for 10 minutes or so many times a day, so he can pee and poop. When the weather isn't bad (today it's snowing in NJ), I take him out and walk him around the development for 30-45 minutes. The walks are for fun and exercise. The lead is just an attempt to housebreak him. (He's three months old.)

I won't be walking him today because it's wet and slippery out there. I do plan on taking him to puppy training this morning at PetsMart. It's his second class.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts