Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my friend's dog, Cirque. I immediately thought she was a pit bull and was surprised to find that my friend didn't think there was any pit in her. She said she's much smaller than a pit (around 40 pounds, so I don't think that's actually an unusual size for an APBT) and has much shorter fur (I'm pretty sure they're supposed to have very short fur, right?).

It doesn't really matter because she's a good owner and doesn't have anything against bully breeds. I just wanted to see if some more knowledgeable people could tell me whether or not I was crazy for assuming this dog was a pit or pit mix. I'm thinking this is just an issue of people thinking APBT look way different than they do (much larger and scarier.) But who knows, I could be wrong. Her guess is a boxer/greyhound/border collie mix, or something like that. ;p

Sorry the pictures suck. They're just random shots on facebook.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha, they do look a lot alike! Do you know what mix she is (assuming she's a mix, lol)?

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
She's a mix. No idea. SIL says she's a border collie X boxer but...well let's just say that's a guess on her part lol.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
She looks like a Border Collie/Pitty or BC/Boxer to me as well. In the second photo, possibly part princess or cow girl? :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
There's no way to know what she is without papers and even then when it comes to APBT you have to trust your breeder on that. I'd say its safe to say she's a generic "pit bull" mix.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'm not really asking if she's purebred or not, although the title it probably deceiving. It sounds like I meant "is she option a (APBT) or option b (APBT mix)" but what I'm actually asking is whether or not it's safe (or logical) to assume that there is pit in this dog at all. Because her owner says no way. And I kind of automatically assumed she was a pit mix.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Without a pedigree it is IMPOSSIBLE to know. With out an DNA it is IMPOSSIBLE for to know if your dog has any Pit in her at all. That being said, Mix or not mix, if it resembles a Pit Bull, then you need to go the extra mile and think of it as one. Why? Because if something should happen, your dog gets out, your dog nips someone, or your dog even growls at someone, your dog will be treated as a Pit Bull. Bad thing about this wonderful breed is that if it looks like a Pit Bull (What ever a "Pit Bull" may look like in a person's mind OR if it is at all "aggressive" in that person's eyes), barks like a dog, and had paws then it's a Pit Bull.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts