Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He is an alapaha bulldog. About 5-6 years ill and intact. He is scheduled to be fixed soon. Tonight when my daughter who is 3 was riding her scooter on the back patio he grabbed ahold of her tire and ripped it out from under her. He bites anything the kids ride. But he doesn't growl at while he's doing it. Is this a sign of aggression? Will this go away after he's fixed? My husband is now scared of him and wants me to get rid of him to so.done with no kids and no other animals. My 6 year old is now scared of him. Should i take this as a form of aggression and what should i do?

·
Registered
705 Posts
It would help if we could see video or you could explain his body posture. Attacking moving objects is more linked to prey drive. Moving things are very enticing to dogs and many dogs try to "catch and destroy" moving things. How is he with people riding bikes, skateboards, etc? If he were going after your kids you'd know. He is going after the objects they ride which makes me think prey drive, but I could be wrong.

I would increase his exercise and keep him on leash outside. Don't let him have the chance to do this. Take out a clicker and some really good treats. Go in the front yard and have your kid just push a skateboard (not roughly! just a tiny bit to make it move) and say "What's that?". When he looks at the skateboard, quickly click and treat. You want him to look at these things moving but NOT to react (react = jump, pull, bark, etc.). Do this over and over. Make it easy for him to do well. Then, when he gets it, move the skateboard a little more. Then move it more. Have the kid stand on it. Then have her stand on it and push just a little. Keep him under control and keep clicking/treating when he looks but doesn't go after it. If he does get too excited and tries to go after it say "Oops" and put him inside. Then, go back outside without him. He only gets to spend time outside if he behaves. After a little while try again. Work on this a couple times every day in small amounts, maybe 5-7 minutes each session.

Teach him leave it.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I don't think he was being aggressive towards your daughter if that's what you are asking.

I agree with Nil's advice, you need to set this dog up for success and start training him that these moving objects are not something to be attacked.

As for neutering, no I don't think it is going to help, not on it's own anyway. Most dogs are pretty much the same after neutering and act like nothing happened. If his problem was marking behavior or wandering then it might have some effect but that isn't a guarantee either.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I agree. I think it is just like dogs who grab at lawn mowers, chase cars, and chase bikes. Prey drive encourages them to chase and "kill" small, quickly moving things... And the tire fits that category.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts