Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Is this a malamute trait or both malamutes and sibes?

942 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  odiesmom 
#1 ·
So my malamute, has to come by my side at the dog park and sit for a few minutes to make sure I am okay. Then will go off and play. She loves to just stay by my side. I literally trip over her!

Anyone else deal with this?

#3 ·
I used to show malamutes another life time ago--there weren't dog parks around then but my Nellie was always so independent. A real mush, but free-thinker. I can't imagine him checking in on me in that situation (unless I had food with me, lol)!

Jen

#4 ·
I think it might just be a Maggie thing - not so much a breed thing :p

I can call Bella back to me if need be - but otherwise she'd rather make sure I'm still around from afar while she's playing. She'll stop and look around until she sees me and wait a few seconds before running off again.

#8 ·
It's not really a breed thing, just depends on the dog. My dogs (huskies) come check in because I give them treats/praise for doing so as part of recall training. Some dogs seem more naturally glued to their owners, some go out and come back frequently, some check in only sometimes, and some don't care at all about checking in with their owner while at the park. All depends on the dog. From the huskies I've seen, and we have a lot around here, most don't approach their owner directly but will stay within a certain range. If the owner moves, the dogs move. There are a couple I know that ping-pong back and forth or stay glued to their owner.

#9 ·
Res'ing a thread because Yay! Malamutes!

I don't think Maggie's a weirdo! London, my male Mal, ALWAYS checks in with me. He's hardly away from my side, really. Even when he's playing, he looks back to me every now and then like "HEY MOM, HEY, LOOK, I'M DOIN' IT RITE, RIGHT?". My last Mal (mix) was quite independent, but even she was very attached to the one person she thought of as "her" person. Even my foster Mals who weren't as attached to me often looked back to me or checked in with me when we were at the park or just out in the yard like "heyy, don't forget, I'm here, you're here, that's awesome that we both still exist, right!? I thought so too! :B"

As an aside, and this might be opening a can of worms, but JMHO - I don't think Malamutes and Huskies are very similar in their personalities/temperaments. I always end up saying "like an Akita" more when people don't know what a Mal is than I do "like a Husky".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.