Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I know I posted about adopting a puppy in a few months but the offer fell through with the puppies from my friend. I am still very interested in adopting a pup, hopefully something younger but honestly, I would prefer something not so young as a 2 month old puppy.

So I have been looking around Craigslist( I know but I have had awesome luck with pets on here so I thought I would give it another chance ) and around at shelters. I found a woman re-homing 2 dogs. The one I am interested in is a 1-yr old chihuahua/yorkie mix. I am waiting to hear tomorrow if she is willing to separate the two because someone is interested in the other dog so I will know tomorrow if I even get to meet it.

She says he is a huge lapdog, awesome with cats (which I need) and is just all around loveable. Though I am meeting it first to decide if it is a good fit. The picture she sent me was of a younger child holding the dog though and it looks pretty happy so I am really looking forward to meeting him.

Annnyways, my question is, is this breed with already having people and cat experience, good for a first time dog owner. My boyfriend has had dogs so I will have his help, but would it be a good dog for me to have as never owning or training a dog on my own before? Also, if I do end up getting him, what are good training tips for these breeds? What should I expect in personality?

Thank you in advance I look forward to great info!

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
When you get an adult dog, don't go by breed stereotypes---go by his individual personality. He sounds like a good fit, I hope you guys are right for each other!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Yep I have an older rescued dog that has become my best friend lol, he is every bit as loyal as any of the dogs I had raised form puppies (so far lol & he seems to get more so every day :) ) so yes an older dog *can* make a great pet, but Buddy isn't a 'typical' ACD, he is calm, laid back, & Isn't very drivy which is what I wanted on a horse ranch with a bunch of babies running around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts