Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've always had a weird dream to one day start my own cat and dog cemetery business. Is that far-fetched? Well, my main reasoning out there is this: I've heard or have seen after a loving family pet dies, it's often(not always), tossed in a garbage bag and thrown out like yesterday's news-just because they aren't human doesn't mean they should be treated that way, right? I'd appreciate your input. Oh, and why you agree or disagree.

Sorry; I Posted in the wrong section.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well, I think as a business investment you'd make quite a bit of money. Purely based on entrepreneur views I'd say that there are many people who do think that their dog or cat needs to be treated like a human and bury it ritually.

My personal opinion is that I wouldn't have it done. I've seen too many of my dogs pass away (just to say it neatly) and then be disposed of at the vet's place that it has sort of desensitized me in some way. Doesn't mean I don't love my dogs, to those who are going to freak out. To me, dead is dead. Some people will try to 'honor' their dog's memory, which is understandable. People have a need to mourn stuff. I like to honor the memory that I have of my live animal, not to have to visit it at a grave.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah i am sure there are people that would use that service. I also would not personally. You can cremate me when I go, dead is dead. :(

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I am the opposite here. :) I believe your idea is a good one. I know my animals are not human ... but they are a living creature. Depending on what you believe in ... I personally believe in the " All Creatures Big And Small" rule. :) My dogs were good companions to me and I wish to treat them the same way after we part.

I had Leeo cremated and he is in my bedroom in a musical urn box. I have heard of people also burying their pets ashes. You might want to think about that in your quest.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
As someone who has lost their dog also, (I cremated her tho) I think there is a market for this service for those who want to go that route. Me I wanted my dog cremated bc I just liked the thought of having her with me, always & we move around so much that I couldn't. Ear leaving her behind somewhere :(.

·
Banned
78 Posts
So you wish to start a business, where instead of paying the vet having for cremation, you will cremate my dog instead.
And for this, instead of paying $70 to a vet, i will need to pay you $70.

I know that the crematory kiln furnace will mass cremate the vet dogs, AND your dogs. That any ash i get will be a mixture of various loved pooches. Not something id be willing to pay for, dead is just that, dead. I dont need no jar of several dogs to remember a live one i have lived with. But death is a personal response thing, i can see that others will pay shit loads for your services.

But you're talking to a woman who has a funeral plan that involves: cardboard coffin/cremation/and one large piss up of a wake. Done, move on.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
The people who care about their pets don't throw them out, they bury them in the backyard.

I personally don't think I'd use a cemetery. What if they went out of business and the area was dug up to be used for something else? That would be pretty traumatic after you go through the burial process and think you will have a permanent grave for your pet.

I wouldn't bury my pets, whether it's at a cemetery or my backyard, it might not be permanent. The cemetery might be out of business, or if I bury them in the backyard I might move, and then they will be gone. I will have them cremated, and I like the idea of turning their ashes into diamonds.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
There is a business like that in Calgary, and they are awesome. With Turbo we knew he wasn't doing well and I called the funeral home in the morning to see if they had a vet on call. He was very understanding and said they didn't, but got my information and said he'd start looking. Every few hours he checked in with me to let me know who he'd called and hadn't had any luck with. Finally the nearest vet agreed to come to the house, I did not want to go to a clinic for that, and when he got it then he said he'd come after the clinic was done. Called the funeral home fellow back and he took things from there. Came to the house before the vet, got the paperwork done, petted Turbo and gave me a hug, then waited outside. The vet came and left, then when we were ready, DH helped him with a strecher and loaded him into the van - no bags. When he was done a few days later (aka the check cleared, can't blame them) he dropped off the remains. When Bender passed away at home it was a Sunday night and late, made the call and the staff member met us there and helped unload, and DH picked up the ashes the next day.

Not everyone would use it but for a lot of people there's no option. I've heard horror stories about some of the places around here, one just told the people to bag their pet and put it in the freezer because the truck came around on tuesdays, the only other option is the humane society and they're not open 24/7 either. A friend of mine had her dog suddenly crash, and found out there wasn't much they could do but put her down, so she had called her hubby to come say goodbye and sat in an exam room while the staff joked around outside, a puppy barked non-stop etc... I know it's part of the job at a vet clinic but she said it was pretty horrible listening to techs goofing and laughing it up right outside the door....

If you did do something like that you'd need someone on call (I think) as well as vets willing to do housecalls for you.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I wouldn't use such a service. . .to me, once a life is out of a body, human or animal, it doesn't matter what's done with the remains. It's just a shell, dispose of it in any sanitary manner. Graves, urns, etc. don't mean anything to me. I have put dead pets out for the garbage pickup--doesn't mean I didn't care about them while they were alive; it's just that you can't bury anything during winter around here. But basically, people who put their deceased pet out for garbage pickup aren't going to use a pet cemetary service.

That said, a lot of people do like to have a grave to visit, a fancy urn, etc. There are a couple pet cemetaries in the general area and they seem to have pretty good business. It's not a cheap business to get into--you need a cremation oven, a large plot of land and some provision that it will never be dug up (at least in the lifetime of your current customers), someone on call at all times, a big van, that kind of thing.

I know a couple whose dog died suddenly early on a Sunday morning. They immediately called the pet cemetary, the guy drove over 60 miles to get the body right away and they felt very comforted by the service they received. I have no idea what that cost them, but I don't think they cared. So business-wise I think it can work if you do it right. If the guy wouldn't come immediately they probably would have buried her themselves. So you do need immediate service or you'll lose a lot of business.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Yeah i am sure there are people that would use that service. I also would not personally. You can cremate me when I go, dead is dead. :(
Many pet cemetaries also include a crematorium (which is where I would suspect most of their business actually comes from) Dead is dead, and I wish to be cremated too (first choice would wrap me in a sheet and bury me under a tree so I can fertilize it, but that's not a legal option). I do admit that it makes me feel better to have my pets individually cremated and have the ashes returned than to have them in a mass cremation. That's just me, and doesn't mean anyone else needs to feel that way, too.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
So you wish to start a business, where instead of paying the vet having for cremation, you will cremate my dog instead.
And for this, instead of paying $70 to a vet, i will need to pay you $70.

I know that the crematory kiln furnace will mass cremate the vet dogs, AND your dogs. That any ash i get will be a mixture of various loved pooches. Not something id be willing to pay for, dead is just that, dead. I dont need no jar of several dogs to remember a live one i have lived with. But death is a personal response thing, i can see that others will pay shit loads for your services. .
Most of the local vets here use the crematory services of a local pet cemetary. The cemetary workers goes around to the vets and collect the animals and then return the ashes to the vets. Much easier than each vet having to maintain their own crematorium. I have several of my pets' ashes in a book case. And both my parents' ashes sit on a shelf in the living room.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
The people who care about their pets don't throw them out, they bury them in the backyard.

It's actually illegal to bury a pet in your yard here. Additionally, unless I made the grave extremely deep, I'd be concerned about the other dogs digging it up, which would not be pleasant. I agree that I can not imagine putting a loved pet's body out for garbage pick up. I recognize that the body is no longer the pet, but I also have to respect the body that for so long held a spirit I cared about. I could not/would not simply throw it away for convenience's sake (or to save money)

·
Registered
591 Posts
We had a small area that our pets would be buried in at the house I owned while raising my kids. We owned a machine shop so each pet even got thier own custom steel grave markers with thier names on it ( most of my pets have had people names) . Years later when I sold that house I was asked by the people who bought the house who all we had buried out there..... I told the people of the several pets, cats, dogs, goat, rat etc etc he laughed and said he was relieved , he had been worried that someone like the mother in law was buried on the property . We didnt dig up the deceased pets but we did take the grave markers that we had made and I put them all in a small area at the new home under a tree.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts