Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Is this a case of animal neglect?

602 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Sloth 
#1 ·
There's a clearing on a back road with a few old, run-down dog pens in it. No houses anywhere nearby. I'd heard rumors that, years ago, someone used to keep dogs in them. Every time I drive by, I check to make sure there are no dogs there now.

Today I was driving by as usual when I saw a dog in one of the pens. I stopped and walk into the clearing. Driveway looks like a car has been there, I'm guessing they stop by once a day or so. There were three "new" metal pens up. Two of the pens each had a beagle in them, along with a dry water dish and empty food dish.

The third pen had no dishes that I could see, but it did have a metal doghouse. The doghouse's metal door was shut tight. I could hear a dog howling inside it.

All 3 pens have pure mud and feces on the bottom.

I called the cops as soon as I got home, and they said they'd send a car out. I'm just afraid that the owner will get there before them, and fill up the dishes with water.

So if the cops get there after the owner, and find the dogs with water in their dishes...does that still count as animal neglect?

See less See more
#2 ·
Most places do require that dogs have access to water at all times. If the dishes are empty they will be told to fix the problem. They should consider small buckets attached to the side of the kennels that will hold and adequate amount of water and prevent the dogs from spilling.

Though the feces will likely still be an issue. They will probably be told to clean it up and keep it clean.

All of them should have usuable, good dog houses.

#3 ·
Come to think of it, it's obviously legal to keep a dog in a pen 24/7 in your backyard. I guess I'm naive to think it's different just because the pens are in the middle of nowhere. I can't imagine these dogs get any human contact, or time outside their tiny pens...such miserable lives they have...but there's nothing illegal about that.

There's no coverings on the pens, either, so they should have a fun time come this summer's sun...especially with no water half the time!

I don't regret calling the cops, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.