Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jazz has been showing aggression towards other male dogs. The first time I EVER noticed it was when my mom and I had he, Tippsy and Dixie at Petsmart on evening around Christmas(took them to get new collars all around) and a lab mix(neutered male) came up with his owner to say "hi" and Jazz growled.

The second time was another event at Petsmart with a golden retriever(I dunno if it was neutered or not) who walked by sniffing Jazz's tail and he turned around and growled at him(Dixie and Tippsy were with us).

There was an occasion also where Jazz growled at a pomeranian(not neutered) who went by in a buggy growling and barking at us(my friend had Dixie and Tippsy outside waiting on us because I was buying a new toy for Jazz and we were in line to check out).

Then there was 2 different nights I brought him downstairs to take him out to do his business and my mom's yorkie(not neutered and totally out of control) came after him and he growled and snapped at him(which is why my mom won't let in the main part of the house now for the most part). The last time Max(yorkie) came after him though, Jazz didn't do anything, just sat down and looked up at me.

There was also the day I took him to get his rabies vaccination, we came in and there was a male pitbull(not neutered) Jazz played with just fine, and then a neutered lab came in and Jazz wanted to rip into him...

And then finally, the last time we had something happen, my best friend and I took he and Dixie to the park for a walk. There's a small 2 part(one for big dogs and one for little ones) dog park there but we were there just to walk the paths around the playground and baseball and soccer fields, but as we were walking through the parking lot we had to walk by the "dog park" and a dog(not neutered) came to the fence and started barking and Jazz growled and lunged.

Every time he's done these things, I've given him a quick leash correction and a stern "no" which usually did the trick the first time, but I wanna know what I can do to actually break this behavior, Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Every time he's done these things, I've given him a quick leash correction and a stern "no" which usually did the trick the first time, but I wanna know what I can do to actually break this behavior, Any ideas?
Is he toy or food motivated? Instead of using negative reinforcement you can try positive. So instead of correcting him, you can tell him to look at you, or just see if you can distract him by giving him treats until you pass that dog. Or if he loves toys and games, you can start of game of tug while passing other dogs.

Also as a disclaimer, nothing against negative reinforcement here... It just might be easier to redirect that energy rather than stop it entirely. Kind of like using "Come" to get a dog away from food/a person or another dog, rather than just "Leave it." I hope this makes sense, it comes together very well in my mind but I'm having a hard time explaining it!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's not toy motivated, but is USUALLY food motivated. I actually tried distracting him with treats and his "focus" command, but there's just SOME dogs that he locks on and just doesn't pay attention. I've ALWAYS done positive reinforcement training, but it just doesn't work in these cases.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Shoot. Ideally the whole desensitizing thing might work (start far away from the other dog, reward for appropriate behavior, move closer etc...). But I gues you can't really predict which dogs he'll lock onto?
Hopefully other members will be better advice. Good luck!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't really have any good advice to offer, but I'd be curious to know how many other dogs he met during his first 12-16 weeks of age. Did you have him when he was a baby?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really can't tell until it happens.

I DID have him from the time he was 5 weeks old. We rescued him off the side of the road. And he met somewhere around 200 dogs at least in his first year with us. And MANY MANY more since then. I definitely socialized him and he NEVER had a bad experience when meeting other dogs under my supervision.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts