Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog is currently 4 years old and she's a local mixed breed. She usually slept in my bed with me but i go to college in a different state so she usually slept in the living room. I've been back home because of covid since last year and now she sleeps in the couch in my room. She's had nightmares here and there before but these days she has them every single time she sleeps. And then she would wake up and it's hard to get her to go back to sleep. I don't even think she gets enough sleep these days and I'm worried. I've been staying up extra late just to make sure she knows I'm there when she wakes up and now I'm not getting enough sleep and missing online classes. Is there anything i can do?
I'm getting very worried

·
Super Moderator
3,329 Posts
Why do you think they're nightmares? I would video the occurrences and send the video to my vet to ensure it's normal, and they'll likely advise you if there's anything that can be done. I would likely do a full vet check anyway to ensure everything is alright medically since this is a strange change in behavior.

·
Registered
Cat-dog, GSD spayed female and Tornado-dog, JRT mix, neutered male
166 Posts
I agree. Definitely take her to see the vet. If she is waking up disoriented and pacing, etc, it could be a sign of seizures. A video of her behavior can help the vet diagnose that as it is very difficult to do so without seeing the actual seizure.

If all things check out healthy, she may just be anxious or simply has vivid dreams.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Most 4 year old dogs still have plenty of energy.
Is the dog getting daily walks?

You would be amazed at how many ¨problems¨ simply vanish when a dog is getting enough exercise.
Repeat after me. A Tired Dog is a Happy Dog. A Tired Puppy is a Happy Puppy.

Uncle Foster

·
Super Moderator
2,909 Posts
I have a high energy two year old, and he doesn't wake up in the middle of the night agitated and pacing and unable to settle if we have a couple days where we can't get him out as much as he really needs. He's just more obnoxious during the day. I agree with the others - start with a medical exam, and video the "nightmare" behavior and aftermath if possible. I also thought seizures, but pain/illness is also a possibility if she twitches in her sleep (normal for many dogs) in a way that really hurts, and that's why she's distressed when waking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts