Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Ginny is a Labradoodle...about 25 % poodle I would say. We bath her every three months or so. Because we live in the country we take her to a do it yourself dog wash, so don't like to go too often. Ginny does not like the car. Her beard is about four inches long, and is alway wet and dirty. Brushing softens the hair...but I am sure it must be smelly. I have no sense of smell, so am always worried about it. I really don't want to cut it, because I love dogs with beards...lol.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
If you love the long beard, then you are going to have to learn to love the wet dirty beard. ;-) You can use a spray bottle with water daily to "wash" it out, then towel dry, then comb it thru or it will be matted. Personally, I can't stand all that wet drippy stuff on long beards, and think it makes dogs look like old men..hehe..so I prefer shorter beards, but thats my personal choice. Brushing will NOT soften the hair..you may be noticing that after she is brushed, the hair feels softer, yes. That is because you brushed out some dry dirt and grime that was in there. You cannot soften the hair by brushing it anymore than you can change the texture of your own hair by brushing it. ;-) I wish! If you don't brush her, she will become matted, and need to be shaved. Brush on! lol

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Remmy, my Shih Tzu x Maltese, I like a beard on but every once in a while, I clip it all off and start over letting it grow out which does not take long. As his face is white, it does start to get stained around his mouth. I never let it get too long so there is no problem with it matting.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've been wondering a bit about the waterless shampoo sprays. I've got my first dog (in years) with a beard. I will keep it the same way they she came to me as it's beautiful but isn't long. I was thinking maybe that would help between baths??

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Sparrow..I had wondered about trying that too. Think I will try to find some in this small town..thanks for the reminder!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a maltese, every couple of days I will wash his beard with spa lavish facial scrub, however :D he is a fraction of the size of your dog. Cleaning the face for us is not a big production like it might be in your case. Many shampoos also sell wipes, I wonder if those might help you out. Earthbath is one of the brands we use.

·
Registered
952 Posts
i've used the waterless shampoos on my dogs beard. The one I used does tend to dry the hair out... maybe it has alcohol or some other fast drying agent in it that is drying on the hair. So I rotate using the waterless cleaner with 2 other options..... use a warm water on a washcloth occasionally. Or just plunk her into the tub and wash just the beard and feet.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts