Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
We're just ahead of the summer and I'm afraid of this Flea bites attack :(
I read about the flea natural treatment for dogs at the how to get rid of fleas website, about garlic, vinegar and all that kind of staff.
Does it really works? Do you have some more tips I can use as a natural treatment?
Thanks in advance,
Ilans

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
First, you need to treat your house thoroughly. This means dusting, sweeping, vacuuming, shampooing carpets, and washing pet bedding in hot water. Apply diatomaceous earth or boric acid to dark corners where fleas like to hide (think under a wall heater, between the couch cushions, and certainly into all pet bedding) and work it into the surfaces with a broom. If you're going with diatomaceous earth, make sure you pick up the food-grade (NOT pool-grade) DE.

Next, treat the dog. Give him a good bath with whatever shampoo you like best (citrus scents are known to repel fleas). Start by ringing the dog's dry neck with a trail of shampoo worked down to the skin. This way, when you turn the water on and start wetting the dog's body, the fleas will not make an escape for his dry head. Spend a couple minutes a day working your dog over with a flea comb, dropping whatever comes off the dog into a dish of soap. Small quantities of garlic and brewers yeast can repel fleas. I like Springtime's Bugg Off Garlic.

I haven't had much luck with natural flea control outdoors. I know that nematodes kill fleas, but I haven't tried them. I find that if I keep my house and my dog protected, I don't have to worry too much about the yard.

Lastly, you have to know that fleas prefer dogs with compromised health, so you want to feed your dog the best food you can afford, make sure his skin is healthy, and take him to the vet on a regular basis.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Seriously? Diatomaceous earth, boric acid, citrus shampoo, nematodes, garlic, and brewers yeast wasn't enough for you?

What, exactly, are you looking for?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys,
We're just ahead of the summer and I'm afraid of this Flea bites attack :(
I read about the flea natural treatment for dogs at the how to get rid of fleas website, about garlic, vinegar and all that kind of staff.
Does it really works? Do you have some more tips I can use as a natural treatment?
Thanks in advance,
Ilans
Some said that to get rid from fleas, natural treatment using garlic, vinegar and apple cider are the best home remedies to treat fleas. Others also claimed that these are not good remedy.
The best way is still this concept :
"Cleanliness is the most important prevention method for avoiding fleas"

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Move to the desert or the arctic...fleas don't like freezing or dry weather.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts