Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello... I have a french bulldog/boston terrier mix. If a gust of wind comes along while we are walking she stops and lays down in an agitated manner. I live in the windy city of San Francisco so walking her can be slow and problematic.
I believe the wind is hurting her ears that stick strait up (bat ears) because she shakes her head as soon as the wind hits her and then she lays down in protest.
Strangely enough she seems ok in the wind if she is running and playing with other dogs. Hmmmm.
I guess it's possible that the wind is just spooking her, but after a year I really think it is actually hurting her.
Does anyone out there have a dog that does this and if so how do you handle it? Is there anything I can do to make it better for her?
Thank you for taking the time to read this.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I don't know what it is about wind. I know my lab hates the sound of it. For some reason, she developed a fear of windy days. It doesn't stop her from walking, but she definitely gets clingy when the wind kicks up. I've heard from other dog owners who's dogs have a similar fear.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I'd say it's likely a fear, not a physical thing, but definitely take her in to get her ears looked at. Bat ears are susceptible to infections and things getting caught in them, down in the canal where you can't see.

If there's nothing physically wrong with her ears, look up kikopup counter conditioning on youtube to get some PR ways of dealing with it, or consult a PR behaviorist.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts