Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, we just had our dog neutered, he's 9 months old. The vet said that after neutering you should switch from puppy formula to adult formula foods. I've read several other places that you shouldn't switch from puppy to adult until around 1 1/2. This dog is a pure bred English Mastiff, if it makes a difference.

What are your opinions?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Hey guys, we just had our dog neutered, he's 9 months old. The vet said that after neutering you should switch from puppy formula to adult formula foods. I've read several other places that you shouldn't switch from puppy to adult until around 1 1/2. This dog is a pure bred English Mastiff, if it makes a difference.

What are your opinions?
At the vet I work for we usually tell people to switch at 1- 1 1/2. English Mastiffs are BIG dogs (obviously :D) so I wouldn't recommend switching before 1 year old at least.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
My dogs have never eaten anything but adult food. I would switch when you feel comfortable. Nine months is PLENTY old to switch to adult food.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
With an English Mastiff you would be better off feeding an adult formula anyway. I never feed my puppies puppy food. Large breeds should not stick with slow consistent growth rather then fast. It is much healthier for their bones and joints. Give your dog a good healthy brand of adult formula and you should be fine.

My vet has never recommended puppy food to me either. I am constantly talking to him about foods and he agreed with me that high quality adult food is the best plan for a large/giant breed.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
In the old days it was better to feed large breed puppies adult food to grow them slow. These days adult premium kibble is very high in calcium and phosphorus which is bad for large breed pups. Stick to the large breed puppy food at least until 18 months.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. We were feeding him Eagle Pack Large/Giant Breed Puppy then switched to the EP L/G Breed Adult. But after reading more on dog foods I'm settled on the Wellness Large Breed Super5Mix Adult.

Now to figure out what to feed the other dog....Well, that's another thread!

Thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Large breeds should not stick with slow consistent growth rather then fast. It is much healthier for their bones and joints. Give your dog a good healthy brand of adult formula and you should be fine.
You got that backward, fast growth, and growth with spurts has been linked to orthopedic diseases, and slow consistent growth is better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I could not resist posting in hear even though I am a rep for a pet food company and you can take what I say for what its worth.

Ive been in the field for years and have had this some discussion. My short answer, the line I work with does not even offer a puppy formula. Its all life stages.

Rather than formulate for age cycles, we formulate based on nutritional needs, lifestyle and activity types.

As a zoo feed company, we just never saw much sense in life-stage formulations.

I believe that there is always a degree of animal husbandry involved in caring for any animal and you are going to know your pet the best.

If you have a good vet, that's great. But its also very good that your doing your own research. Seasoned owners have a lot of great information that comes from experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would agree Dale and I'm not in the industry. My new pup is a large breed and technically was the "age" to move to adult food; however, she's not a big eater and she is quite frankly, skrawny. We opted to keep her on the higher fat / protein puppy food for a few more months in an attempt to get a bit more meat on her bones.

My vet and I looked more at her health needs, not just her age.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts