Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love the look and cleanliness of this breed, but I've never met one in person. Tell me what you know of the breed, and about your experiences with either owning them or being around them.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I've only spent any time with one Shiba. He is a little wacky and lives up to the Shiba's infamous independence. He is good with other dogs, loves to play and seems to like people well enough. He doesn't listen to his owners at all but that could be lack of training so I can't really say if that is his breed character coming through or not. He much rather play keep away then come when called. He's a sweety though and has a real joy for life.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I grew up in Japan and all the dogs I knew were "Shiba Inu". I have no idea if the standard Japanese street dog bears any tempermental resemblance to the American purebreds, though. The only American Shibas I've met were insanely small (I thought Chi mix) and were snappy and bratty. But probably due to poor breeding/training. Are they supposed to be so small (10-15 pounds)? The Japanese Shibas I grew up with were probably 30-40 pounds.

The dogs I grew up with were just. . .dogs. I guess I didn't know any different. We played ball with them, walked them, played with their puppies (yeah. . .), etc. Most of them didn't have any recall and enjoyed wandering, but then so did my grandpa's dogs back here in the States. I never noticed anything about them that was different from any other breed.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Servant to a Shiba here.
I don't have time to post right now (off to work), but will after I get home.

kiba5 by bladerunnr40, on Flickr

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 4.5 year old black and tan Shiba Inu. He weighs 28 pounds and is 17inches at his withers. He is a great dog. He is well behaved and affectionate. He loves to be near people and wants lots of rubs. But, he is not at all a lap dog. He usually is on the floor near me. He rarely barks and doesn't beg for food. He just sits there quietly giving you a Jedi mind trick. He rarely barks and only sheds twice a year. He knows commands and in the house is great at them, however, outside is another story. He is not to be trusted off leash and he is an escape artist in my back yard.I have had dogs my whole life, and I can honestly say the connection I have with him is incredible. They are fabulous dogs!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Shibas are wonderful dogs with big personalitys. A primative breed with a very strong prey drive so they can't be off leash unless in a secure fenced off area. Invisible fencing won't work, they will take the hit to get to whatever critter they have decided to kill. Very poor to no recall unless there is somthing in it for them such as some yummy treats. Socialization is key with them as pups. I socialized the heck out of Kiba, as a result he loves meeting dogs and people. Although he is not likely to let strangers pet him unless they engage him in a game of catch the Shiba first.
Not the most cuddly of breeds, Kiba would rather lay on the coffee table than on the couch with me. But he loves his morning belly rubs.
Very smart and observent dogs, they learn quickly. They also learn how to push your buttons to get what they want.
Clean and very particular with their potty habits. Kiba will not poop in his own yard unless he has absolutly no choice. He doesn't like to get wet and will go around puddles on walks.
They are quiet dogs, Kiba will only bark if it's something important. But he does like to talk and we have some great conversations.
I will always have a Shiba or two, they are very addictive.

The Misanthropic Shiba

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
A primative breed with a very strong prey drive so they can't be off leash unless in a secure fenced off area. Invisible fencing won't work, they will take the hit to get to whatever critter they have decided to kill.
I'm sure this is true. . .I never got to see a Shiba with any small animal other than cats; we didn't have rabbits or squirrels there. But the street dogs (Shiba types) in Japan lived quite happily with the street cats. Most place with street dogs (including the reservations here) don't have many street cats because the dogs kill the cats, but in Japan they lived harmoniously for the most part. Maybe they had an understanding.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Kiba is good with cats, he tries to get the neighbors cats to play but they don't want anything to do with him. I know other Shibas who wouldn't hesitate to kill a cat. I've lost track of the number of other critters he's killed. Rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, even birds. I've seen him leap up and grab low flying birds right out of the air.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts