Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Boomer is 8mo and eats 3x/day.

I've read some peeps knock out lunch and distribute the quantity between bfast and dinner as early as four or five months.

My wife and/or adult son are usually home during day, so lunch feeding is rarely, if ever, an issue.

Is there a dietary, nutritional or 'puppy growth' advantage to feeding 2x/day or is it just simply a convenience for dog owners not to have to worry about a mid-day feeding?

Since Boomie is a lab he apparently still shows excited interest in eating 3x/day but would be fine going to 2x.

....heck, he would eat eight times a day if we let him.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Mostly its just a practical thing since once a dog is able to give up a midday potty break, it doesn't make sense to drive home or pay a walker just to feed a midday meal. An older, bigger puppy isn't really a worry for low blood sugar anymore like a small, young puppy can be.

Some dogs get really conditioned to eating at specific times and get hunger pukes when they don't get fed at that time, so if its only some days that a lunch is doable, then it can be better to not feed lunch at all to avoid that (and the very common whining for food if they get set in their ways)

·
Registered
428 Posts
I agree that it's mostly a convenience thing for the humans not to have to make sure they're home to serve a noon-time meal. (and for the record, the vast majority of dogs - and absolutely ALL of mine - would eat as many times per day as food was offered up!)

That being said, I'd make the 'lunch' meal a small one, with the majority of kibble served morning & evening. That way, if you ever *have* to miss that mid-day feeding, it won't be such a shock to his system.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
My puppies have always been fed 2x a day. I've ever been able to come home midday or hire anyone to do it. So they always got breakfast and dinner. Never had any issues.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I still feed my adult dog 3x a day. I enjoy coming home for lunch and he was used to getting a midday meal, so I kept feeding it. If I couldn't come home for lunch anymore I wouldn't worry about it and just feed 2x a day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine are fed 3x a day. I've never understood why people feed their dogs just once a day. What is the logic behind it? Would you want to just have one meal?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I also feed my young and old alike three times a day, but not at noon. It's hot then and mine are usually sleeping. Usually about 8AM, 4PM (when I get back from work), and 10PM. They are a bit ticked and low energy if I occasionally get back from work late and their 4PM meal is delayed. This schedule is not by design or intention. It's just what works with my job.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I'm going to feed mine 3x a day for as long as I can. I enjoy having an excuse to leave the office in the middle of the day - makes the day seem less long when you get to break it up in the middle.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
I have my puppies down from three meals to two meals no later than 3 and a half months..

The from two meals to one at about 10 to 12 months...

Mine are fed 3x a day. I've never understood why people feed their dogs just once a day. What is the logic behind it? Would you want to just have one meal?

If you look at the digestive physiology of dogs or canines in general. Their entire digestive system and processes including enzymes, insulin, etc were developed to eat larger meals at a longer time interval....

Small dogs can have blood sugar issues because of their diminished size and capability of their organs.

But an adult dog in good health that is anything larger than about 25 pounds.... Once a day is in most cases the healthiest way to feed them. It gives the organs time rebound and to replenish enzymes, etc. Typically the dog's body is able to use the food it eats better, its body is able to break down the nutrients more effectively, and the entire digestive process tends to work more smoothly.

Do I think feeding twice a day is bad? No.... But once is better...

Someone else mentioned dogs becoming habituated to eating at a specific time and having stomach upset if not fed at that time. Largely we do that to them.. I have always widely varied my dogs feeding times....

If this is what the dog is used to it works well.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I feed twice a day until they turn one year, then I feed once a day. I know that is controversial, but mine get so little (1 and 1/2 cups for Lincoln) and 1 to 1 and 1/2 cups for Josefina) that it really doesnt hurt them. Now if they were a giant breed, or a breed prone to bloat, or got a lot of food in their ration, then I wouldnt feed once a day.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Small dogs can have blood sugar issues because of their diminished size and capability of their organs.

But an adult dog in good health that is anything larger than about 25 pounds.... Once a day is in most cases the healthiest way to feed them. It gives the organs time rebound and to replenish enzymes, etc. Typically the dog's body is able to use the food it eats better, its body is able to break down the nutrients more effectively, and the entire digestive process tends to work more smoothly.
^This^ is quite interesting. That's the dietary, or biological, reasoning I was wondering about in my op. Would love to see more scientific information on this if anyone has a link.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I cant really find any definitive yay or nay on once a day feeding, I can only say that I have always done it with no issues, I dont have large or giant breeds, though, or a breed that is prone to bloat.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've always thought it's convenience but I also heard often when Peggy was a puppy that you should consider dropping lunch when the dog seems less interested in it, or refuses it. Peggy LOVES food but around 5ish months she started not caring to eat it, though obviously she would still be all about any treats or novel food. When she started doing that I gradually dropped it to 2x a day. With a lab especially, even if family are home most of the day, I don't know if I'd want an adult to be accustomed to eating 3x a day just in case things have to change.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I only feed once a day most days. I do feed 'snacks' as in we do some treating and training later on or they have a chew on a typical day. But only one meal. And I have small dogs.

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Interesting post JB, would be interested in seeing the science as well!

I think dogs should be able to handle being fed 'whenever' and not be worse off from it.

That said, I feed twice a day at unspecific times but am not worried about skipping a meal, giving large snacks or treats at any time, or feeding at spontaneous times. But that's because for me personally, I want my dog to potty only when he is given the chance (so meals don't determine potty times), and not be behaviorally or physiologically conditioned to being fed at a certain time of day.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I see the once a day most common with folks that feed raw vs. kibble. That said, I dropped from 3 to 2 a day feedings when my girl was around 6 months. I still TRY to feed her twice a day but a lot of times she really only wants to eat once a day and that's fine. I just feed her and she eats when she wants to eat... after she finishes her breakfast, which may be dinner time, I'll put another serving in the bowl and she'll either eat it or wait until morning. It's weird, but it works for us.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I see the once a day most common with folks that feed raw vs. kibble. That said, I dropped from 3 to 2 a day feedings when my girl was around 6 months. I still TRY to feed her twice a day but a lot of times she really only wants to eat once a day and that's fine. I just feed her and she eats when she wants to eat... after she finishes her breakfast, which may be dinner time, I'll put another serving in the bowl and she'll either eat it or wait until morning. It's weird, but it works for us.
This is us, my husband's dog will NOT eat kibble twice a day, so she gets fed a small raw meal in the morning to stave off hunger pukes and gets a cup of kibble with a satin or "fat" ball in the night time, Lincoln gets a small meal of 1/4 of a cup in his kong wobbler in the morning and he gets a 1 and 1/2 cups at night, both get the same supplements (nupro, digestive enzymes, and a pump liquid called allerG-3)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts