Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Ever since getting our dog 6 months ago, I've been pretty obsessed with learning about dog food. The first brand we tried, Fromm chicken formula, worked great. We were lucky. Subsequent attempts at introducing new food didn't take as well. We tried Orijen SLOWLY for WEEKS, and still couldn't switch to it. Runny poop as soon as it was more than 50%. I concluded something in it, fish or turkey maybe, didn't work for him. I think it's fish because I assume turkey isn't that much different from chicken? Bad assumption?

I've also tried Taste of the Wild (Sierra Mountain). Again, did it slowly. The poop consistency was great, but he started drinking a lot more water and the poop volume was appreciably more. So, gave up on TOTW too.

Tonight, I tried Fromm Duck. Almost exact same formula as the Fromm chicken he's used to, but with duck protein. Just to see how he does, I gave him half of the new duck and half of the old chicken, rather than taking it slow.

My girlfriend was kinda upset that I did that. She thinks it's mean to switch foods so quickly. But, in my defense, I really wanted to find out more about the dog. I wondered just how sensitive he is, and if that sensitivity comes from sudden switches or just incompatible foods, or maybe both. It seem like an important and interesting enough bit if information to risk some diarrhea.

What do you think? Is it mean to experiment on your dog like that? Was a sudden half/half switch mean? She was really upset at me. But I thought it was worth it to find out, and from what I've seen so far, I didn't think he would be sick for more than a day if the duck formula doesn't work for him.

I'll find out tomorrow if he took the new duck food ok.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I'm not sure why it would be mean to switch his food quickly, unless you know it'll make him sick. I always switch my dogs' food cold turkey, but they have iron stomachs.

Have you tried any other TOTW formulas? My dogs don't do well on lamb-based foods of any brand, but do fine on all the other TOTW formulas.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It's not mean if it's not malicious. I have done it with my Delilah, because like you we are quite obsessed with dog nutrient...honestly the best we have used is blue buffalo wilderness salmon. She loves it and it's a 6 star rated food. On top of that we feed the honest kitchen on occasion or grandma lucy's ..... Just so she gets a little variety. Seriously, my girl did horrible on TOTW but she did so much better on bb wilderness.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Hi,

Ever since getting our dog 6 months ago, I've been pretty obsessed with learning about dog food. The first brand we tried, Fromm chicken formula, worked great. We were lucky. Subsequent attempts at introducing new food didn't take as well. We tried Orijen SLOWLY for WEEKS, and still couldn't switch to it. Runny poop as soon as it was more than 50%. I concluded something in it, fish or turkey maybe, didn't work for him. I think it's fish because I assume turkey isn't that much different from chicken? Bad assumption?

I've also tried Taste of the Wild (Sierra Mountain). Again, did it slowly. The poop consistency was great, but he started drinking a lot more water and the poop volume was appreciably more. So, gave up on TOTW too.

Tonight, I tried Fromm Duck. Almost exact same formula as the Fromm chicken he's used to, but with duck protein. Just to see how he does, I gave him half of the new duck and half of the old chicken, rather than taking it slow.

My girlfriend was kinda upset that I did that. She thinks it's mean to switch foods so quickly. But, in my defense, I really wanted to find out more about the dog. I wondered just how sensitive he is, and if that sensitivity comes from sudden switches or just incompatible foods, or maybe both. It seem like an important and interesting enough bit if information to risk some diarrhea.

What do you think? Is it mean to experiment on your dog like that? Was a sudden half/half switch mean? She was really upset at me. But I thought it was worth it to find out, and from what I've seen so far, I didn't think he would be sick for more than a day if the duck formula doesn't work for him.

I'll find out tomorrow if he took the new duck food ok.
I don't think it's mean at all, and I'm a little confused as to why your girlfriend thinks so. If you had the attitude of "I don't care how sick he gets, this food was/is on sale and that's what he'll eat"...then yeah, that's pretty bad. But to want to know exactly WHAT is causing the dogs's triggers isn't mean at all, and I'm not a big fan of plunking a dog on one specific brand of food only and feeding nothing else. A few of my dogs have done rapid switches with ZERO problems, because I've done rapid switches in the past and the change doesn't bother them. The dog I raised from puppy-hood on rotational has never had diarrhea in his life.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good news. The seems to have taken the quickswitch ok. No runny poo.

I wanted to switch mostly to find another food that he would do well on. I didn't like the idea that we could onlyfeed him one thing and one thing only. I also wanted to know how sensitive he is, and what sets him off.

Although i am not totally confident, i dont think it's good to feed the same thing all the time.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I agree feeding a dog one protein source all his/her life doesn't seem right.. I can understand for dogs with sensitive stomachs or certain allergies..

I mean Saya is raw fed she doesn't get just chicken every day or just beef.. Today she got a drumstick and some ground beef tomorrow she'll get ground beef, chicken foot and some smelt etc..

Bella my parent's boxer eats wellness core ocean and I've been working on getting her used to a few brands of dog food she handles TotW lamb fine with no problem, and handles TotW bison/deer fine too. I plan to try a different brand of kibble of either duck or rabbit..

Orijen can be rich for some dogs and maybe feeding less helps with it, but some don't do well on it some do some don't. Acana made by orijen company has lower protein % I think..

My last dogs ate just one thing sometimes we'd change to different brand, but most part they stayed on the same brand. Looking back I think eating that way is not so good..

I know kibble is formulated to be complete nutritionally, but I think feeding a rotation diet is healthy. I mean one brand of food might use different veggies, fruit and herbs so the dog also get different things of those too.

If those two work for you then maybe rotate between those kibble.

Chicken and turkey is a bit different my parent's catahoula mix had reactions to turkey she'd fart horribly and had loose poop, but chicken in kibble she was fine. same goes for cooked turkey it caused her to fart. It was not enhanced by salt or broth or had the skin or any seasoning too..

She did had a raw turkey neck three times in her life each time she didn't fart or have loose poop.

Bella used to have loose poop on wellness puppy food I think grains or something was the issue once she was on wellness core and wellness core ocean she did fine.

Rotation might not work for everyone, but so far it has worked with Bella and she seems to do fine.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've been rotating the various Fromm Four Star formulas, and my dog has been doing well on them. I really like the idea of a rotation diet, and definitely suggest giving it a try if you're interested in it. When I rotate, I slowly transition because my dog can have stomach sensitivity sometimes. If you're transitioning just to rotate flavors/brands, I'd try to do it slowly from now on, just to be safe. But if you need to transition because the dog isn't doing well on a food, then I don't see the problem with a hasty transition.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts