Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know - another "what breed is my dog" post! Kkuma was a stray who lived in our neighbourhood, so perhaps she is too much of a mix to be any clear breed or breeds! She seems to most resemble a terrier or terrier mix to me, but not strongly similar to any particular ones I've seen. I'm a new owner and not familiar with many kinds of dogs beyond the ones I've met before (labs, staffies, dobermans, spaniels...), so I'm interested to hear what people think! This is more for my curiosity than for anything else! :)

Some traits that may or may not be relevant:
Floppy eared
long haired
white w/ some small light ginger/brown splodges
has rear dewclaws

Sociable with people
less interested with other dogs
likes to chase cats
easygoing
not food-driven
fairly low energy
a bit mouthy (she is approx. 1 and we just adopted her so this might be an age thing or not discouraged by previous owner? Currently working on this)
rarely barks except when she hears other dogs
loves squeeky toys!
likes to sniff (maybe this is just true of all dogs though! :p)

She had long matted hair when we first met her and was clipped as she had an injured back leg and to keep an eye on her weight better. I wanted to ask - what's best to do with her hair? It's cold here in winter (~-5C) and hot in summer (~40C) here, so is it in her benefit to clip in summer and grow her hair out in winter?

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
She actually looks like a maltese/poodle mix to me, rather than any kind of terrier. You can do pretty much what you want with that coat, but honestly in my experience dogs who don't have undercoats aren't really kept warmer OR cooler by longer or shorter coats. It's kind of like the hair on your head; it's just not all that warm.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Shes cute!! I dont know what breed(s) but good job on taking her in!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies! I put maltese/poodle mix into google and sure enough I'm finding pictures of dogs much more similar to mine than the results I got for terriers! Thanks for your help, and thanks Cpt Jack for the coat advice :)

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
I would also say Poodle x Maltese. I have Shih Tzu x Maltese and clip them short in the spring and usually again in early fall so their coats do not get too long over the winter but they still have enough hair to keep warm. You will just have to see how fast her coat grows to figure out how often to clip her and depending on what length of coat you like.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts