Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! New here, and looking for some answers about my baby, Luna.

My roommates and I adopted a puppy about a year ago from a man who claims that the mother is a full-blooded Husky that got out and got pregnant. Ever since we've gotten Luna, people have said how much she looked like a wolf. We didn't see it at first, but once you're told something so many times, it starts to make sense. She was a very timid puppy, scared of most everything except the three of us. She was very picky about what she would eat, and to his day she is not a big eater (which is odd for us as previous dog owners). She is incredibly strong at one year of age, stronger than any dog I've had, including labs and german shepards. She is also very dependent upon us. She sticks to us like glue and has somewhat severe seperation anxiety. She is also more destructive than any dog we've ever had before. She will shred anything she can. She is not, however, aggressive in anyway towards us or our 2 cats. She is also very submissive to all dogs at the dog park, yet many dogs do not seem to like her.

Our question is, obviously, does it sound like she may have some sort of wolf content to her? From the bit of research we've done, it seems like, if she does have any wolf in her, it would be a small percentage as she has blue eyes. We'd really rather she didn't, but for her well-being, we would like to know what we would need to do to care best for her. Anyone know anything about hybrids?? Thanks for any help in advance!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I see absolutely no wolf whatsoever. Looks more like a Husky x Shepherd to me.
Don't think that because some random dude on the street, or internet, or wherever, says your dog looks like a wolf, so she must have wolf in her. People think my Shiba Inu is a fox, or a wolf puppy, or even a cat, but he's none of those. Some are so convinced that he's X species they will not take "No, he's a Shiba Inu." for an answer.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Everything you've described is characteristic of a Siberian husky. She could very well be a mix but most definitely not with a wolf. The not eating as much is a trait within the breed because of how they were bred. They need much less food to maintain body weight and energy level than other breeds of the same size and weight. The destructiveness is usually a key sign of an under exercised/bored dog. Siberian and Siberian mixes are medium to high energy and most definitely need an outlet for that energy ( think of what they were bred to do - pull sleds everyday for upwards of 50 miles). Shyness is an inherit trait within the breed also and still from time to time pops up.

Siberian Huskies get called wolves all of the time by people who don't know the breed or lack common sense. My girl, who is the furthest thing from "wolf-like" in appearance (she is the traditional black and white, blue eyed, irish marking Siberian) is called a wolf several times a day.

Anyway she's a cutie!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Looks like a Husky to me.
The behavior you describe can happen to any dog, it doesn't necessarily mean she has wolf in her. There are timid, destructive, submissive, dependent, strong dogs. Many people call Huskies, wolves, but I have never have seen the resemblance between the two.
I would recommend you find some activities for her to do so she doesn't tear up everything!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
That is a lovely husky shepherd mix. She just needs lots of socialization and physical and mental exercise to behave her best.

Stick around, we have lots of great tips to help your dog be her best.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all!! Makes us feel a lot better. We've been telling people she is a husky/shepard mix, so I'm glad we haven't been lying.

Ahhh, relief :)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous dog!!! :D She is just stunning! ........

I rescued a pup last year who is a Dobie/Lab/Rott/Husky mix ... Benny ... and he is the strongest dog I have ever met in all of 50 years! ... and that is saying a lot! I firmly believe like Benny ... your pup's Husky mix gives her great strength! I know the dog I mention ... I swear he could pull a ten ton truck! Lol! :D

If she were mine ... I would find a job for her to do in the pulling department. :)

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
looks husky and maybe GSD to me....if she wasn't handled a lot as a pup b/4 you got her that can account for her being timid of most things and people.....and like mentioned above, everything else sounds very normal for Husky behavior from what i recall of mine..........

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't see any wolf in her. If there is any there is VERY little. Wolves will NEVER have blue eyes- so that makes doubt any wolf content.
She looks like a grey husky to me.
Own hybrids

·
Registered
496 Posts
I agree with husky/gsd mix or just husky

Like everyone has said, the destructive part is most likely being bored and she needs a job to get that energy out. On eating I know my youngest girl snow does not eat a whole lot as well. Maybe find something you can do with her like biking or skating with her on the leash, classes are always good as well and training helps with the mental stimulation.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Looks very husky to me! I see zero wolf, but it's possible that there is extremely little.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts