Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first off, I'm new to these forums, but came across them while doing research on our dog. We got here about 7 months ago (she's 1 yr and 3 months now). From the adoption agency, we were told border collie/possible BC mix. I knew that wolf-dog hybrids existed, and after doing some research, I came across the coydog. Our dog, Arya, exhibits many of the traits identified on this page:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/coydog.htm

She is VERY skiddish around people, sleeps curled up in a ball with tail over her head, yips, but never barks, has piercing yellow eyes, large ears that are always up, a long bushy tail that looks like a fox, is SUPER fast in the dog park (can outrun anydog that's chased her) and is fast to bite when scared. I'm probably missing something else, but those are many of her traits. I personally believe, until proved otherwise, that she's a coydog. Thoughts?

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
I think your dog looks more like a coyote mix than any on the coydog breed page.

That's about my only thought, though. That and that she's really pretty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! She really is a beautiful dog. Very sweet too once you gain her trust.

One additional note, the adoption agency told us that she was found in the woods with her mother (the Border Collie)

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
Thanks! She really is a beautiful dog. Very sweet too once you gain her trust.

One additional note, the adoption agency told us that she was found in the woods with her mother (the Border Collie)
Honestly, I'm skeptical of any dog that anyone believes is a coydog, for an assortment of reasons - chief among them that coyotes would rather eat a dog than mate with it, even in heat, and there are issues with breeding seasons (less an issue for a domestic dog mother, but still there). So, my default is 'nope', since they're such an astoundingly rare thing to have happen- BUT as you said you're going to believe what you believe until proven otherwise, there is no definitive way to prove otherwise (DNA testing is available but not very good) and you're treating the animal you have in the appropriate way for who and what she is. That's about as good an owner as their can be, regardless of the dog's genetic makeup.

I WOULD advise you keep listing her as a bc mix everywhere, and not ADMIT you think she's a coydog to anyone in real life, for any reason, because of legality issues and biases that could lead to serious trouble for you both. Especially ii she is, as you said, quick to bite.

·
Banned
428 Posts
I personally don't think she is, but then again most of those dogs on that link don't look anything like one either. She is cute either way and I also agree that you shouldn't mention you think she is a coydog.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
She really looks like a fox, LOL (not possible; foxes and dogs can't interbreed). I think her head looks more dingo-ish than coyote-ish, and some herding breeds do have some dingo background. . .so I don't know. But I do agree that you shouldn't tell anyone in real life what you suspect about her background, just in case.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I'm far from an expert... but it looks possible. Either way don't tell anyone. It will make her an instant target and in many places that mix is illegal and can be euthanized by the state. Especially if she bites easily its very important that you never know for sure and you never tell anyone what you suspect (especially on paperwork anywhere). She sounds like a handful (in a good way) good luck with her!

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Golly, she is an interesting looking dog! Have any more pictures? :D

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Most believable coydog claim I've encountered! I have nothing definite to compare her to, though. She's really pretty.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Coyote crosses happen a lot more then people realize. Charlotte's best friend, Athena, is part Coyote, and last year we came close to adopting a puppy that was the product of a dog/coyote mating, but backed out of it at the last minute. In both cases, the mating was witnessed, so there was absolutely no question about who and what the father was.

With this dog, it's hard to tell, but I'd say it's possible that coyote has been thrown into the mix somewhere in her family history. Regardless, she's gorgeous.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Coyote crosses happen a lot more then people realize. Charlotte's best friend, Athena, is part Coyote, and last year we came close to adopting a puppy that was the product of a dog/coyote mating, but backed out of it at the last minute. In both cases, the mating was witnessed, so there was absolutely no question about who and what the father was.

With this dog, it's hard to tell, but I'd say 's possible that coyote has been thrown into the mix somewhere in her family history. Regardless, she's gorgeous.

Just because they tied and mated does not mean that the pup was the product of the coyote, litters can have multiple fathers which is how my childhood GSD/flat coat gave birth to a litter that included border collie looking pups, heeler looking pups, rottie looking pups and one blue merle aussie looking pup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input all! Yes, she can be a handful, but is totally worth everything. Our original though was fox/dog too, until I found out that it can't happen. I'll post some more pictures in a little (when I get the time). She definitely gets comments everywhere we go, and from your advice, I know not to tell people what we think she is. Thanks again for all the compliments and input.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
Dogbreedinfo is full of crap, generally -- none of the pics on any page are verified as being of the breed or mix the people claim. It's a bad site full of misinformation on all kinds of dog topics, not just breeds (for example, they still buy into all that "pack leader" stuff that was debunked years ago). Try this page (and note that not only do all of the verified coydogs look quite coyote, as you'd expect from a 50/50 mix, but they have pics of the ones from dogbreedinfo at the bottom as fake coydogs).

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Just because they tied and mated does not mean that the pup was the product of the coyote, litters can have multiple fathers which is how my childhood GSD/flat coat gave birth to a litter that included border collie looking pups, heeler looking pups, rottie looking pups and one blue merle aussie looking pup.
There were no other fathers. Both were similar cases where the owners were careless for a split second once and only once with their females in heat. So in these cases, yes, they were the product of a coyote.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
I'm wondering if it's genetically possible for a dog with one coyote parent to have liver pigment and no sabling. All of those verified coydogs on the Wolfdog project page are sable (banded?) and have black pigment. Where are our genetics experts? :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts