Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
For some dogs, yes. Some dogs have sensitive stomachs, where the bones are manufactured can be a problem, and some dogs like to swallow more than they can chew. Plus the residue can be nasty stuff to clean up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've always given my dogs rawhide without a problem since they have weight issues and this will satisfy them like a treat. But I did research on rawhide a couple of weeks back and it turns out it can be bad for your dog because of all the chemicals involved in producing the rawhide. The chemicals sounded like stuff in household cleaners... I forgot the exact name of the primary chemical that is used. And there's the other issue of dogs swallowing larger pieces they shouldn't, but my dogs don't have that issue and I watch them.

I have only given them one or two in the last two months or so after reading that article because now I am unsure... Better safe than sorry. And I just bought a whole bunch too.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Rawhides are highly processed with very caustic chemicals, can wad up in the gut and cause fatal obstructions (especially if your dog "eats" a lot of the rawhide in a very short period of time), and goodness only knows what country they are manufactured in. After all the melamine issue I won't even buy something if it's made in China. Rawhide is exactly what it says, the hide of cattle. If those cattle are raised in countries that lack proper control over livestock, I don't want to be feeding any part of those animals to my dog.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I always gave rawhide to my dogs, never knowing it was not good for them. My dog now loved them, but I had to take them away since it doesn't agree with him. I only give him nylabones to chew on although I know he would prefer the rawhide. I would at least stick to the white ones, vs the colored ones as a treat.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Can't be proven one way or another whether it is bad for dogs to have rawhide. I've personally given mine rawhide (on occasion) throughout their lives and never had problems, but I've also heard of dogs choking on it, and in some cases it has caused an obstruction.

My dogs seem to enjoy their rawhide (though I am picky about what kind I get, and don't buy the "bleached" ones). But I don't give it to them often.

It's all a matter of personal preference. Some people refuse to give their dogs rawhide, some take it away (for an equal or better reward) when it gets small and could become a choking hazard, others who let them chew on it till it's gone. If you don't want to give your dogs rawhide, don't. If you are unsure, dogs certainly don't NEED to chew on rawhide, and will be quite happy without it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, I figure it's better than eating tennis balls, which I've seen my pup try to do on several occaisions...:(

How about pigs ears?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
My main concern are the chemicals that they douse the hides and ears with in order to remove the hair. There are far more natural things available for the dog to chew like raw bones.

And britishbandit, where on earth have you been hiding???

·
Registered
192 Posts
well then what kind of bones are good for dogs to chew on, I have heard that certain bones are bad?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
well then what kind of bones are good for dogs to chew on, I have heard that certain bones are bad?
Raw bones are good for dogs to chew on - it's the cooked bones that are bad. You can give beef ribs, soup/marrow bones and knuckle bones.

·
Registered
96 Posts
We have been giving our dogs a stick type of thing. The pet spa told us that it was a tendon ( or ligament or something like that, I sort of forgot now) and that it was digestible, unlike hide. They are not cheap, about 7 bucks each, and are pretty smelly when they get moist, but the dogs really like them and I am hoping that they are safer.

·
Registered
269 Posts
We have been giving our dogs a stick type of thing. The pet spa told us that it was a tendon ( or ligament or something like that, I sort of forgot now) and that it was digestible, unlike hide. They are not cheap, about 7 bucks each, and are pretty smelly when they get moist, but the dogs really like them and I am hoping that they are safer.
I would bet that is a bully stick. Some packaging (and suppliers) refer to it as a tendon because it's a much more polite way of explaining what it is. I'm not sure what brand and size you got, but there are several reputable online suppliers people here have used that sell them for reasonable prices. You might also check your local feed store if you have one, they tend to sell them much cheaper than pet stores as well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would bet that is a bully stick. Some packaging (and suppliers) refer to it as a tendon because it's a much more polite way of explaining what it is. I'm not sure what brand and size you got, but there are several reputable online suppliers people here have used that sell them for reasonable prices. You might also check your local feed store if you have one, they tend to sell them much cheaper than pet stores as well.
Thank you!! Yes, I think that they did call it a Bully Stick, but strange thing is I went and looked at Bully Sticks at my local Pet Smart and the ones there were made of made of potato starch and other ingredients, it did not state that it was a tendon...so now I am confused. Mine does look a little different. I will have to check out a feed store somewhere or if anyone on here can recommend an online retailer that may have them for less I would really appreciate it. I am buying two a week for my girls.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am normally against rawhide. But when we adopted my pug, he had a rawhide bone that he had been mauling. I found out then that even though he is 12 weeks that he is teething. I caught him trying to break his teeth on the computer chair mat (very sharp!) and figured that he can do the rawhide till he fully cuts his teeth :)

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I give Donatello rawhide wrapped in jerky that have a hard, crunchie, sweet-potato center; It's like three treats in one and keeps him busy for days... It takes him about a week to finish one.

I only feed him one every other week, or every couple weeks. I don't think rawhide is all that bad as long as it's not part of their everyday diet.

Oh, and those rawhides that are in the shape of bones with the knots at the ends... No, no no, I would never feed those.

Donatello eats these: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10317674

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Thank you!! Yes, I think that they did call it a Bully Stick, but strange thing is I went and looked at Bully Sticks at my local Pet Smart and the ones there were made of made of potato starch and other ingredients, it did not state that it was a tendon...so now I am confused. Mine does look a little different. I will have to check out a feed store somewhere or if anyone on here can recommend an online retailer that may have them for less I would really appreciate it. I am buying two a week for my girls.
There are "bully chews" mixed in with the bully sticks. Don't buy the potato ones, look for ingredients to say "pizzle" or "beef by-product". If you're unsure find a trainer or manager, not a regular blue-shirt and ask which ones are bully sticks. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts