Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching it but thought I'd bring it to a message board for a varying opinion. Is puppy food a must? Granted im talking about feed good quality nibble. Nothing you find at major retailers(Purina,science diet,blue buffalo) none of that stuff. Something along the linea of Acana/Fromm/great life/back to basically etc.

Puppy in question is about 10ish pounds and about 14 weeks.

She's on puppy food.. Crappy puppy food but we just got her so im giving her an adjustment period before I change her food. I mean is there that big if a difference for a small/medium dog with High quality kibble?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
With smaller breeds its not as important to limit their growth as it is with larger puppies. I know there are some foods that are rated for all life stages, and IMO those are only the high quality foods so it should be fine. What breed is the puppy? If its a breed known to be prone to HD or ED I would just make sure the food has plenty of glucosamine and chondroitin and use a supplement if necessary. If it's a smaller breed puppy, make sure the food has an amount of fat comparable to most puppy foods.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know there are some good foods for puppy's and those are hight quality foods. so it should be nice and great. I was give foods to puppy's for his capacity. so its good for him.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
In many brands puppy food is a sales gimmick. Check the ingredients, most are very similar to the adult version of the same food.

·
Registered
59 Posts
For a small breed puppy it would be ok to feed an ALS food. But LB pups you need to watch the cal. levels. It should be 1.5-1.7% MAX.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*sighs* I just realized this said good instead of food.. Sadly my phone won't let me change it.

She's a mutt we think a medium sized dog full grown. Maybe 30lbs Max but she's tiny even at 3 1/2 months. I've compared some of the foods and very little difference, except maybe the protein/fat. Not a big difference maybe 3-5% Max for the protein.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts