Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my dog there but my neighbor said she heard rumors that they abuse the dogs until the dogs fear them enough to listen to them. Have any of you heard this or used Petsmart?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Each Petsmart is different, it depends on the Petsmart. I have a hard time believing that they could still be in business if they were outright abusing dogs, but all the same you can probably do better. You might try doing a google search and seeing customer reviews of local grooming services (including Petsmart).

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks; that's a good idea!

·
Registered
467 Posts
It really varies. PetSmart is fine where I live. My dog actually loves going in to be groomed, so clearly they are not abusing her.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
It definitely varies, but again, so do privately owned grooming shops.

My experience of PetsMarts\Co's is that the groomers aren't extremely meticulous about alot of grooms; I have been told by these places that groomers with alot of experience (outside of their places)have too much 'talent' or skill for their establishments...that to me, doesn't speak extremely highly of the standards they are looking for. Anyone can go in and learn how to groom, and their program is really short, which is not nearly enough IMO to be considered "professional". I have groomed for 9 years, and was bathing, and helping clip and trim in dogs for much longer than that, because my mom was a groomer, and I would help her during the summer, and school breaks. I do not consider myself to "know it all" although I know alot. You just can't learn all the patterns, and scissoring details in a couple week program; grooming is a skill that can take years to really perfect. They also try to pack in much more dogs than some stores, into their days, which can cause groomers\bathers to rush through the work...which can really stress some animals out, and can cause more nicks, quicked nails, or brush\clipper burns.

Don't hear me say that there aren't any good groomers at these stores, but as someone else mentioned, you may be able to find better (for your bucks) at another shop.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If you are looking for a perfect groom - probably not the best place to go.

But as far as abuse - I think that is silly. The big stores have a huge window where the dogs are groomed and if they were outright abusive it would be seen by many people and it would be shut down.

If you are looking for a cheap groom and not too picky, they are fine. And only if your dog is very well balanced and happy go lucky - because there are a lot of dogs and people going in and out, and a stressed dog probably shouldn't go through that.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Toby was "abused" at a local groomer. This woman has a bad reputation in town. She picks her favorites and then doesn't treat the other dogs well at all. We went to her once. Toby wasn't one of her favorites, so we never went back.

On the other hand, we've found a wonderful groomer at the local PetCo. They have a window into the grooming area where you can watch them work and they can't see you. A couple of times we've watched her with him. She loves on him and pets him during the grooming. We can talk to her about the exact cut we want and if he needs some special shampoo that day. It's perfect.

So it really varies from groomer to groomer, rather than the location itself.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
If you are looking for a perfect groom - probably not the best place to go.

But as far as abuse - I think that is silly. The big stores have a huge window where the dogs are groomed and if they were outright abusive it would be seen by many people and it would be shut down.

If you are looking for a cheap groom and not too picky, they are fine. And only if your dog is very well balanced and happy go lucky - because there are a lot of dogs and people going in and out, and a stressed dog probably shouldn't go through that.
For the grooming part, they bring the dogs into a "back room" that you cannot see. Are some Petsmarts set up where you can see everything? I know my dog will not let me cut her nails. So I don't know what they would do to be able to cut them. I may start bringing my dog to my vet for all maintenance stuff (tooth brushing, ear cleaning, nail clipping).

Toby was "abused" at a local groomer. This woman has a bad reputation in town. She picks her favorites and then doesn't treat the other dogs well at all. We went to her once. Toby wasn't one of her favorites, so we never went back.

On the other hand, we've found a wonderful groomer at the local PetCo. They have a window into the grooming area where you can watch them work and they can't see you. A couple of times we've watched her with him. She loves on him and pets him during the grooming. We can talk to her about the exact cut we want and if he needs some special shampoo that day. It's perfect.

So it really varies from groomer to groomer, rather than the location itself.
Interesting. I'm going to make sure I only use places where you can see everything from now on.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I think you mean for the bathing they go to a back room. The grooming occurs in the window in clear sight of anyone who wants to watch.

If your dog doesn't need to be clipped but just needs the basics -- bathing, tooth brushing, nailing clipping -- then it's a little different. The PetSmart near us even let us know that our dog really hates the blow dryer so they let her air dry.

But our pup is very friendly, very "happy-go-lucky" as the saying goes. She does just fine at PetSmart and really, now we have started to bath her ourselves. Go with your instinct.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Usually instead of air dry they use a kennel dryer. Loud and ineffective. I took Sadie a few times and never will again. And I work at PetSmart. :) They're all different but I can get a much better groom for the same price at my local groomer, and Sadie loves her.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think you mean for the bathing they go to a back room. The grooming occurs in the window in clear sight of anyone who wants to watch.

If your dog doesn't need to be clipped but just needs the basics -- bathing, tooth brushing, nailing clipping -- then it's a little different. The PetSmart near us even let us know that our dog really hates the blow dryer so they let her air dry.

But our pup is very friendly, very "happy-go-lucky" as the saying goes. She does just fine at PetSmart and really, now we have started to bath her ourselves. Go with your instinct.
You're right; it was bathing not grooming. They let me know also that she doesn't like the hair drier and instead they air dried her.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Not a slam on all PetsMArts, but I have seen one or two groomers get impatient with a dog that was uncooperative. They did not abuse the dog, but they were harsher than needed. Having said that, my dog is fairly obedient and has never had problems at PetsMArt.

- Hank Simon

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Thing is, many Petsmart groomers are young folks with only very basic grooming education. Not all are doing the job because their life goal is to be groomers, some are just doing it for the paycheck.

Therefore, there's no real guarantee of quality. Even if they treat your dog well, the groom might be below your personal standards for your dog. But since every PetSmart is different, there's no way to say which ones are better than others.

For me, I go to a private groomer with an open floorplan (I usually only go once or twice a year). I've stayed and watched them and feel they are really good, kind folks. They also allow you to bathe your dog yourself there if you want.

·
Registered
472 Posts
My dog gets his grooming done at our local Petco, and they do a wonderful job. He has had prior bad experiences at other groomers, but the groomer we use at Petco is wonderful with him and he likes her a lot. It would depend on the individual groomers at a Petco or Petsmart. Can't judge a whole chain on just a few employees

1 - 14 of 14 Posts