Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our youngest Cavalier is 3. Our dogs spend the night in really big wire crates, and this dog usually folds up any pads or bedding and sleeps on the plastic tray. I would feel like a really mean dog owner if I only gave him a plastic tray, but I'm beginning to think that this is what he truly prefers. Anyone else have a dog like this? Should I just give up on pads or bedding?

·
Registered
85 Posts
We had a bit of a similar situation with our dog. She would chew on anything we put in the crate. We ended up letting her just sleep on the plastic and it worked out fine.

Now she does not need to be in a crate, but I guess she likes hard flat surfaces. Nine times out of 10 she wants to sleep on the wood floor. Not on carpet.

Go figure.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
It could be that he's cooler on the bare plastic. I'd probably put in a smaller bed that only covers part of the crate, just to give him a choice of what surface he wants to lie on.

My GSD has a bed in our bedroom, but if she gets too warm, she will move off it and sleep on the wood floor.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Some dogs like sleeping on cool surfaces. They might prefer cool over actual comfortable padding. You could try getting a cooling mat and see if he likes both the comfort and coolness of that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts