Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have a yorkie i am hoping is expecting.
she will be about 24 days today. she is off her food and sleeps loads. there has been no weight gain and a slight increase in size of the "milk bar" it is her first time and mine. i have a breed mentor and an appointment with the vet on Thursday.
i have attached 2 photos one at 12 days and one at 24 days.
i am 90% sure she is but would like an outside view from somebody who is not watching every day for changes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
At 24 days its not accurate to tell by a picture. Your vet can palpate and possibly tell. An ultrasound will be accurate later on, and an Xray can count the pups usually. Though the last bitch we had x rayed said 4 pups and she had nine. It's just a waiting game now. Good luck!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Take your girl to the vet, they can tell you, no one here can tell by pictures.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:peace: will do...lol i'm an impatient expectant grandma...hoping to keep at least 1 from the litter. since posting the clear discharge started... i have read nearly all the info i can get and some books (book of the bitch) i had a bit of an info overload...are there any other books to suggest?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I suggest a mentor that is a reputable breeder (perhaps a local Yorkie club can suggest someone), years of experience in the breed, and extensive knowledge of correct breed structure and temperament.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
:peace: will do...lol i'm an impatient expectant grandma...hoping to keep at least 1 from the litter. since posting the clear discharge started... i have read nearly all the info i can get and some books (book of the bitch) i had a bit of an info overload...are there any other books to suggest?
There should be no discharge at 24 days gestation, get her to a VET as she could well have Pyometria. If she does and you don't seek treatment you WILL end up with a dead girl, the worst that can happen if she doesn't have a pyo is a few dollars well spent.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will do :) i'm constantly fussing over her... she'll be getting the works at the vet on the 19th. weight check...making sure the diet is right..ultrasound...checking for discharge etc.
i occasionally tend to see more than is there....i once took her to the vet when she walked differently (all hunched up)...i got in to the examination room put her on the table and heard "pfft"... turned out to be wind. there is a chance the discharge could be the natural lubricants but i will get it checked.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I suggest a mentor that is a reputable breeder (perhaps a local Yorkie club can suggest someone), years of experience in the breed, and extensive knowledge of correct breed structure and temperament.
I couldn't agree more - Please see someone with experience. :) Hopefully all is well and everything works out.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
will do :) i'm constantly fussing over her... she'll be getting the works at the vet on the 19th. weight check...making sure the diet is right..ultrasound...checking for discharge etc.
i occasionally tend to see more than is there....i once took her to the vet when she walked differently (all hunched up)...i got in to the examination room put her on the table and heard "pfft"... turned out to be wind. there is a chance the discharge could be the natural lubricants but i will get it checked.
You do realize that with pyometra, if that is what is going on, she may well be dead by the 19th?

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
You do realize that with pyometra, if that is what is going on, she may well be dead by the 19th?
I seriously doubt she realizes the danger she's putting her girl in just by breeding her.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
If the dog is actually having a discharge, do NOT wait until the 19th to go to vet. It is an emergency. Go now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
i spoke to the vet on the phone and described the symptoms in detail and repeated them and he said he was not worried but to keep an eye on her and if it looks like the discharge is continuing to call back. we went on a 2 mile walk today and she showed no signs of slowing down and even ate a few dog treats on the way. if she stops drinking and refuses her fave treats i'll call them back :) she wont be leaving my side for the next 48 hours. in between naps she plays ball if that stops i'll know for sure there is something wrong

also i did a search for pyometra online http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyometra
the discharge was not puss like and stopped as fast as it appeared... i am looking at open and closed versions and help is a phone call away.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok..so from some of the pages i have looked at i get the same info.

"Pyometra usually appears 6 - 8 weeks after the dog goes out of heat. It is a life threatening infection & requires immediate veterinary attention. Pyometra may come on quickly, or take several months to fully develop"

i cant seem to find anything about how fast it would appear after mating. is there anything else that would cause a small amount of discharge? her body temp is normal.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
It could appear at anytime. As long as all is ok, good appetite, acting normal, good color of gums, and no increase or continue of discharge, follow up with your vet. If anything changes, don't wait. Discharge is common during heat, and after birthing. In between, not so much. Has she ever had discharge before she was bred?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
she is 2 i think it works out the due date is around her birthday if she is expecting
this was her 3rd heat regular...every 8 months to the day so far
she is a very clean dog...so clean that at one point i thought her season had stopped and had to put a pull up nappy on her to check it was not a split heat
i weigh her every couple of months...4.5 kg...9lb
gums pink...took a while to check...as soon as i said come here tilly let me see those gums, she ran under the bed and sat in the middle.
she has i slightly rounded belly but till the vet says one way or the other....i have been calling it wind but treating her like she is expecting...they will be doing a Doppler Colour Ultrasound thursday
i frontlined her last week.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
she is .... :) with her small belly and being her first litter i was thinking she only had 2 in there....we counted 5!!!!....i'm going to need more supplies lol...i'm prepared for 6 already...but want to be ready for any "surprises" the vet said all is going well

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
she is .... :) with her small belly and being her first litter i was thinking she only had 2 in there....we counted 5!!!!....i'm going to need more supplies lol...i'm prepared for 6 already...but want to be ready for any "surprises" the vet said all is going well
I always prepare for double what an ultrasound/x-ray sees. Not likely to happen with a yorkie though, but you never know.

·
Registered
400 Posts
First, she shouldn't grow until 35 days normally.

Second and more important, who is your breed mentor? Is it an actual responsible breeder or another just breeding for cute yorkies to sell fast? Any health tests done on her? The stud? Is she sound?

And I believe 5 is a larger litter size for a dog that small. I'd watch for complications with that.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts