Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Every single time I goto my vet they always try to sell me stuff.

The vet tries getting me to buy the "special" food for cleaning the dogs teeth. The first time I went to this vet they tricked me into buying it...my dog eats everything...but wouldnt touch this food...so took it back and got a full refund.

Today I went to the vet and not only was she trying to sell me the "special" food again she was trying to get me to buy some gels or something for preventive treatment for my Westie...whos only 3 years old.

The vet said her back legs are clicking joints (or something) and will "probably" have arititis in her back legs at age 8-10. Then she went on to say we can help prevent it by using this preventive product.

Then she said about her teeth.....her teeth at least to me look perfectly fine, a bit of tartar here n there - her breathe doesn't smell at all...I admit I don't give her bones anywhere near as much as I should but mate she has better teeth then 99% of other dogs teeth ive seen. I have friends/family whos dogs breathe/teeth smell bad and their vets never recommend getting em operated on to clean.

I was giving an estimate of $420-480 for the teeth cleaning - (BUT DOESNT INCLUDE WHAT IT WOULD COST IF SHE NEEDED A TOOTH REMOVED LOL???)

The only positive thing she said that wasn't trying to scare me into spending money was "She has really good skin for a westie"

Ive taken her to this vet since she was a puppy.....for the first year they never tried selling me anything....but there are new vets working there now for the past 2 years and everytime i go there they're pulling stuff like this.

Should I go look for a new vet?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
If you still trust the vets medical advice I would stay there, its hard finding a new vet.(well is for me) but if you are in any doubt at all then start looking for a new one.
Yes They are trying to sell you stuff, its a vet nurses job to generate passive income for the clinic, so they are just doing their job. Doesnt mean you have to listen to them though:) I know when I am trying to sell people stuff in clinic I get irksome when someone picks up a bag of food, as I really cant promote it well cos I think its crap.
Also the price for that dental is horrendous! I would get an itemized quote an look through it if you ever decided to have the procedure done.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
In a word... yes. You won't be able to tell whats a real health concern and whats fabricated for her benefit. I hate being hustled I probably wouldnt stand for it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you still trust the vets medical advice I would stay there, its hard finding a new vet.(well is for me)
Yes They are trying to sell you stuff, its a vet nurses job to generate passive income for the clinic, so they are just doing their job. Doesnt mean you have to listen to them though:) I know when I am trying to sell people stuff in clinic I get irksome when someone picks up a bag of food, as I really cant promote it well cos I think its crap.
Also the price for that dental is horrendous! I would get an itemized quote an look through it if you ever decided to have the procedure done.
It's the actual vets themself trying to sell me the stuff, not the nurses. Which concerns me even more.

The thing is, back 3 years ago when i first started taking my westie to this vet they were different vets working there....for the first year with those original vets they never tried selling me anything.

Now for the past 2 years there are new vets who always do this to me....

My girlfriend thinks we should just go around n look for more vets to get more opinions. But im afraid we'll just bump into the same crap over and over, trying to be sold stuff.

When my westie got her teeth cleaned once at 2 years old the vet said "lucky I didn't have to pull any teeth out!" and it shocked me....because her teeth are ****ing fine....I got really angry at his comment...the fact he would have taken a tooth out...at age 2...WHEN HER TEETH ARE ****ING FINE....without telling me...just so he can add +$$$ to the bill?

I am actually afraid to have her operated on at this vet now....incase they try doing something unnecessary just for the sake of profit....

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
It's the actual vets themself trying to sell me the stuff, not the nurses. Which concerns me even more.

The thing is, back 3 years ago when i first started taking my westie to this vet they were different vets working there....for the first year with those original vets they never tried selling me anything.

Now for the past 2 years there are new vets who always do this to me....

My girlfriend thinks we should just go around n look for more vets to get more opinions. But im afraid we'll just bump into the same crap over and over, trying to be sold stuff.

When my westie got her teeth cleaned once at 2 years old the vet said "lucky I didn't have to pull any teeth out!" and it shocked me....because her teeth are ****ing fine....I got really angry at his comment...the fact he would have taken a tooth out...at age 2...WHEN HER TEETH ARE ****ING FINE....without telling me...just so he can add +$$$ to the bill?

I am actually afraid to have her operated on at this vet now....incase they try doing something unnecessary just for the sake of profit....
Actually, that is pretty good, especially for a small dog. 80% of dogs under the age of three will have some form of periodontal disease, which can affect the heart, lung, liver, etc.

I try to brush Jackson's teeth at least every other night and he also gets bully sticks, etc. Dental care is so much more important than a lot of people realize. Getting a professional dental is not a horrible idea. Even with just a little bit of tarter build-up, they can clean much better than we ever could, and get to the gumline. Jackson was 3 when he got his (but he also had another tooth issue, so while he was under, I figured I'd get them cleaned) and he ended up having a tooth pulled which was dead. I would've had NO idea... nothing smelly, etc. So glad I got it taken care of.

I do agree that a vet constantly trying to sell you something is super annoying. There's no need for an RX food for a perfectly healthy dog, etc. Find another place or just politely decline. :)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Dental health is extremely important and I encourage regular dental procedures, But where I am from that is still expensive for a routine dental. It would be about 320 for a dental on a small dog and that is with a pre-anaesthetic blood panel. Prices vary obviously but I would think at that price it would be with extractions. We always go over with the owner if they think any teeth in particular might need pulling and if one does need pulling a nurse will call and ask during the procedure if they want it pulled and how much extra it will cost. If we dont get an answer, we just do the scale and polish.
The vet trying to sell you stuff you say? If it happens every visit then Id start looking for a new one. But thats just what I think. Entirely up to you.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Mate - ever hear the comment " and do you want fries with that". I would be concerned that the vet is trying so hard to sell you stuff you probably dont need. It probably because, if they are new, they need to boost cash flow until the customer base settles down.

Maybe it is time to check out another practice if their sales tactics are annoying you. The alternative is just to tell them, thanks but I don't want fries with my vet consult.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think the question itself, "Is my vet trying to scam me?", is reason enough to consider a new vet. You need total confidence in your vet...not for the easy decisions...but for the hard ones.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
OP, it sounds like your vet may have discovered your dog has patellar Luxation, it's common in all dog breeds especaially if the pup is poorly bred (from a BYB, puppy mill/pet store) or was desexed too young, if it's mild (and it sounds like it is) it will cause arthritis when the dog gets older, if it's severe it can cripple a dog pretty early. It can also predispose a dog to tearing the tendon/ligament tears, due to the joint being formed incorrectly so try to minimize jumping and high impact excercise.

That said, if you don't trust your vet, find a new one. Having a vet you can depend on and trust is important.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I would find another vet, and tell them your concern about unnecessary services and items. Here a dental is around $60, I couldn't imagine paying that much for a teeth cleaning!!!!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Had a dental done on my little maltese, Hercules at 3yr. He had one adult tooth extracted it was deformed. His sister Squeak is older and I was checking her teeth thinking that she would need a dental soon (she is 5 and I am going to have her teeth cleaned this year.) Never dreamed Herc would need it first. Small breed dogs are prone to dental issues. It is not so much the tartar build up that your vet is looking at it is the gingivitisis:http://houndstoothpetdental.com/stages.html Most people are reactive instead of proactive. The cost of the dental that you were quoted sounds high. However depending on the dental techs experience level it may be worth it. The tech who did my dogs teeth has 30years of experience. She nerve blocks and sutures for extractions. (An inexperienced tech can break a dog's jaw doing extractions.)
Gives pain injections prior to surgery. She also sends home pain meds and antibiotics. Not every vet practice does this so you need to ask questions.
As always if you do not feel comfortable with this vet find one that you are comfortable with however do not let cost be your main concern as sometimes you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
If you don't feed raw, small dogs need dentals more often: they have the same number of teeth in a very small mouth, as a larger dog. Some breeds seem to be worse than others (yorkies, for example). My vet also tried to sell me the dental diet made by Royal Canin for my poodle. I politely declined - twice! After that, I started making appointments with one of the other vets in the practice who isn't so pushy. I'd rather brush my dogs' teeth and get dentals every couple of years. Your vet is charging more than $100 more for a dental than mine, but your cost of living is probably much higher there than here, but $100 more?? I pay around $300, and that includes a full blood panel beforehand.

If your dog has "clicky" joints, I'd definitely put him on a joint supplement, but you don't need to get it at the vet's office. My poodle, Potsie, age 4, has grade 4 luxating patellas (the worst grade, usually requiring surgery - sounds like what your westie might be developing - common in small breeds like poodles and westies), but I give him Cosequinn DS Plus MSM, along with a fish oil capsule daily, and he doesn't show signs of lameness yet (look for back leg skipping when running). My vet was amazed at his last checkup and asked if I was giving him anything. When I told her what I was doing, she said to keep doing it, to prevent the lameness from setting in earlier than it inevitably will (she's right in that regard). She said she has a client with grade 2 luxating patellas that isn't doing anything preventative, and the dog is quite lame. Keeping your dog at a slim weight is also critical to helping the joints from becoming sore any earlier than necessary. Potsie is supposed to be kept at 12.5 lb., which I watch carefully, adjusting the amount of his food accordingly.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Whether it's a Vet or a car salesman and all the others in between I don't like fear factors tossed in to make a sale. A Vet in my opinion should have mind on fixing the dog's immediate problems in front of him/her.

The what-if problems that might occur 8 yrs now the road is idiotic to say the least. I have seen many good Vets through the years and can separate the greedy from the competent Vets.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
My Vet doesn't push things, but the Vet techs might suggest it. When they do, I bluntly ask the Vet to give me a medical opinion. The last visit, my dog had gained 2 pounds from the previous visit, and without looking at the records or the dog, the Vet tech starts to lecture me about the dog losing weight, and buying their weight loss food.

When the Vet came in, I asked her if my dog was fat. She didn't look at the chart, she felt for ribs. Then, she said that she'd like to see him gain ... another 2 pounds! That tech doesn't help with my dog anymore... but I don't blame my Vet.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
My Vet doesn't push things, but the Vet techs might suggest it. When they do, I bluntly ask the Vet to give me a medical opinion. The last visit, my dog had gained 2 pounds from the previous visit, and without looking at the records or the dog, the Vet tech starts to lecture me about the dog losing weight, and buying their weight loss food.

When the Vet came in, I asked her if my dog was fat. She didn't look at the chart, she felt for ribs. Then, she said that she'd like to see him gain ... another 2 pounds! That tech doesn't help with my dog anymore... but I don't blame my Vet.
I wonder if that comes under the saying, "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Then I wonder what's worse stupidity or pushing an unneeded product.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I didn't want to smear thoughtful Techs... but to me, pushing one or two useless products (even honest Vets are mis-led into doing this, sometimes)... is the lesser of two evils :)

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I think dog owners have to be smart consumers whether it's Vets, Techs, or bags of dog food.

·
Registered
891 Posts
In situations like this, I go with my gut. If you think you're being scammed, you probably are. However, if the vet is a good one and you're comfortable with the level of care, I'd stay with them and just not buy all the stuff they want to sell you.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I would find another vet, and tell them your concern about unnecessary services and items. Here a dental is around $60, I couldn't imagine paying that much for a teeth cleaning!!!!
You must live in a really reasonable area. Even with my fairly generous employee discount, my dogs' dentals come to more than that when anesthesia is figured in

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
You must live in a really reasonable area. Even with my fairly generous employee discount, my dogs' dentals come to more than that when anesthesia is figured in
Yes, large spays are still under $100. Some of the city vets, charge quite a bit more, but out in rural areas they are very affordable. They don't have the newest equipment, but the experience and quality is still excellent. In fact my county vet, people come from neighboring states with animals.

Even with more updated equipment, the clinic I worked for was still nowhere near the prices that others mention paying. Annual vaccinations including heartworm test and fecal is around $60.

The biggest issue I believe, is that here many animals are still just country dogs. They don't go to the vet often, and owners will not spend much on them.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts