Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A week ago I got puppy who's now 7 weeks old but even after getting her tired, when I put her in her room (bathroom for now) she barks for up to hours in order to get attention, I try to ignore her hoping that she'll get over her attention disorder but it's been a week and still no change (the neighbors hate me right now.) She also bites me and EVERYTHING else she comes in contact with, and on top of it all, she isn't even fun to be around when she's not doing any of that because she loses interest in playing fetch or tug-of-war or anything after a minute... I feel like shes a bigger challenge than most puppies, am I right or is this normal? I just want an idea of what the future has to hold and some tips on how to deal with her.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Completely normal behavior.. especially when taken from the mother as 6 weeks old and being put alone in a bathroom, when she's used to being around siblings/mother all the time.
Try googling "mouthing puppy" and "bite inhibition" for the mouthing.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
That's pretty normal for a 6 week old. They don't get to learn that bite inhibition from their litter mates that they would get in those last two weeks, so it's up to you to teach it. When the playing gets too rough, stop the game for a moment. Be consistent. Eventually she will learn that when she gets too rough, the fun stops and she will learn her boundaries.
She's also a baby, and is going to get lonely. Consider getting her a crate so that she can still see you even when you can't supervise her, like when you're cleaning or cooking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Completely normal behavior.. especially when taken from the mother as 6 weeks old and being put alone in a bathroom, when she's used to being around siblings/mother all the time.
Try googling "mouthing puppy" and "bite inhibition" for the mouthing.
I've been trying that already, not much progress yet but that guide does say it might take up to 4 months so I guess i shouldn't expect much, is there any way to get her to play or will that just happen in time?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I've been trying that already, not much progress yet but that guide does say it might take up to 4 months so I guess i shouldn't expect much, is there any way to get her to play or will that just happen in time?
My puppy seemed to have a really short attention span when it came to toys - until I went to the pet store and literally bought every kind of toy under the sun. Squeaky balls, tennis balls, squeaky stuffed animals, leather/suede type toys, puppy nylabones, etc. Now my puppy jumps from one toy to another to another, but is endlessly interested because he has a wide variety to choose from. Perhaps providing multiple choices for your puppy would help?

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
It could possibly take longer since she was removed from her littermates too soon. Puppies are a marathon, not a sprint.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts