Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm writing to you because I have a 14 weeks/old puppy who has had a strange behavior on two recent occasions:

-Once during an afternoon nap and the second time late in the evening: He woke up suddenly, extremely scared, itching compulsively his back and checking behind him as if something was attacking him, then running on the other side of the room. It stopped a few minutes later.

I can reassure him after a while but I'm a little worried about this behavior:
-Could he have nightmares?

-He's treated against flees and all (and I checked him thoroughly), so nothing seems to be there to really itch him. The bizarre thing is that he's scratching his back but after a few minutes, he seems bothered around his head. Calming him down didn't work fully yesterday, he ran away from me again once as if he was sleepwalking (or half awake, and still half in his nightmare as well).

-We saw the vet a week ago and everything was fine.
-The breeder is a very serious and trustworthy one and told me he was in perfect health.

-Could it be a neurological problem? (pure breeds tend to have strange diseases...). I've know a dog from the same breed (english cocker spaniel) who was epileptic, but it doesn't look like it at all.

I'll see the vet Tuesday but I wanted to have some people's insights. Thanks to reassure me or to confirm that I should have him checked!

·
Banned
749 Posts
Could be a re-occurring dream. Is that the only time he did it was when he was sleeping?.

Lola sometimes barks at a really low volume in her sleep. I have also seen her back legs moving a bit when she sleeps as if she is having a dream of running. perhaps she is having a dream of the dog park I take her to.

I would not worry about it but since you have a vet appointment already I would just mention it to the vet.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Gir runs, barks, and whines a lot in her sleep. I'm pretty sure she has doggie nightmares, or at least doggie dreams.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Both of our dogs are heavy sleepers and have dreams all of the time. Its not unusual for them to bark, act like they are running or, this is going to sound really strange but our 7yr old Boxer acts like he is nursing sometimes in his sleep.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Wow, nice to know it's not just me. I thought my dog was crazy.

Kit twitches a lot while asleep. Sometimes it's her whole body, but not a seizure. If you touch her, she stops immediately. She also emits sounds that are hard to describe - something in between a bark, a whine, and a wheeze. Mostly this happens while lights are on and movement/noise is occurring around her while she's asleep - same as in people and sleep walking/talking.

·
Registered
442 Posts
My dog dreams all the time, sometimes he howls like a coyote in the middle of the night ,other times , lots of little yelps. He looks like he is running sometimes .

Hi,

I'm writing to you because I have a 14 weeks/old puppy who has had a strange behavior on two recent occasions:

-Once during an afternoon nap and the second time late in the evening: He woke up suddenly, extremely scared, itching compulsively his back and checking behind him as if something was attacking him, then running on the other side of the room. It stopped a few minutes later.

I can reassure him after a while but I'm a little worried about this behavior:
-Could he have nightmares?

-He's treated against flees and all (and I checked him thoroughly), so nothing seems to be there to really itch him. The bizarre thing is that he's scratching his back but after a few minutes, he seems bothered around his head. Calming him down didn't work fully yesterday, he ran away from me again once as if he was sleepwalking (or half awake, and still half in his nightmare as well).

-We saw the vet a week ago and everything was fine.
-The breeder is a very serious and trustworthy one and told me he was in perfect health.

-Could it be a neurological problem? (pure breeds tend to have strange diseases...). I've know a dog from the same breed (english cocker spaniel) who was epileptic, but it doesn't look like it at all.

I'll see the vet Tuesday but I wanted to have some people's insights. Thanks to reassure me or to confirm that I should have him checked!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts